Talk

Advanced search

I hate having builders in- though I love what they do!

(12 Posts)
LittenTree Tue 16-Oct-12 12:28:35

Having the garage converted right now. They're steaming ahead and I am pleased with progress, but I'm finding it a bit difficult having all these people in my house! And yes, I am a moaning minnie as I invited them in!

They are sporadically all over the house as they are turning radiators on and off and the work involves replacing a radiator. I wasn't expecting that and hadn't 'tidied' up at all blush. Luckily nothing too unpleasant lying around!

I also can't do anything, really, apart from make them coffee (hence I have literally spent the whole morning on MN...) as I am tripping over them in the hallway and on the stairs, and I sort of need to be around to make decisions about things.

The house is in disarray as the contents of the garage (argh!) is now in the conservatory and utility; we are taking everything off a large storage unit in the living room to sell it and replace it with a console table, so the spare room is stacked deep with boxes and I must go to the charity shop. I can't drive out as the drive way is 3 deep with vans! And the DUST....

Moan over. As you were.

Yorky Tue 16-Oct-12 12:41:36

You are so lucky.
We haven't got the builders in yet so have boxes stacked waiting to build the rooms to unpack them into!
I can't wait to eat brick dust 3 meals a day grin

LittenTree Tue 16-Oct-12 12:52:03

grin

....currently there's a shouted conversation between a bloke just outside this room at the new radiator and one up in the loft doing stuff with the Megaflo.

Another thing is I don't like looking like the numpty I am. I only just about know how the CH system works, diagrammatically (pigletjohn told me!) so I hate questions about where my secondary stopcock is!

Brick dust in my dinner is grinding my teeth down. I'll look like one of those ancient Inuit women who have work their teeth to nubbins, chewing animal skins to soften them.

Yorky Tue 16-Oct-12 13:15:48

Lend them a baby monitor so they don't need to shout?

cakepops Tue 16-Oct-12 13:19:12

I hate not knowing what to do. Sitting around MN'ing/watching day time TV looks so lazy but what else is there to do?

LittenTree Tue 16-Oct-12 13:22:59

Quite, cakepops! I want them to think I'm 'working'.

Also, have I moaned about how cold my house is with all the doors open and the radiators drained down? And having to listen to Radio Bumcrack at hyper-volume?

sweetkitty Tue 16-Oct-12 13:25:47

Nice to see you Yorky, we had the builders in for 3 whole days before we ran into problems, they haven't been here for 2 weeks now! I have stuff up the loft and waiting in Ikea ready for the rooms that aren't built yet!

cakepops Tue 16-Oct-12 13:26:56

I have a man in replacing the boiler and flushing the system (whatever that means) tomorrow.

I should be clearing up instead I'm MN.

I have saved for all my ironing for tomorrow so at least I will look busy for part of the day!

Yorky Tue 16-Oct-12 13:32:22

How busy do you want to look cakepops? I could lend you some ironing if it helps your image!

LittenTree Tue 16-Oct-12 13:34:37

I am hoping none of them recognise MN on my screen as being MN. Hope they think I'm doing strategic financial planning for the southern region of IBM or some such. Though dressed in my fleece and Uggs, maybe not....

ellangirl Tue 16-Oct-12 16:21:55

Thank goodness we are not living in our house while destruction productive building work happens. There is no water or drainage connected to bathroom, and yet one of our bright spark builders decided to use the toilet, for a number 2 hmm There is actually no garden left unaffected either, think they are just moving piles of mud around for fun!

FishfingersAreOK Tue 16-Oct-12 16:41:49

Since April 17th.....*sigh*. In a static in the front garden. The loo in the static is right by where they stand to from tea. I have learned to cross my legs as static walls are not in the slightest bit soundproof!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now