Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on electric fires please!

(6 Posts)
LittlePickleHead Mon 15-Oct-12 21:47:35

We are getting a fireplace put in - Victorian style. Initially we were thinking of just getting it as decorative due to the faff of getting gas installed. However I've just discovered the style we want also has an electric coal effect option.

The pictures look great (like a real fire) but I just wondered whether anyone here actually has one and whether you would recommend it? Or whether we'd be better just to go for a solid fuel model and stick some candles in it or something?

I do like the idea of a lovely looking fire over the winter, but I really don't want it to look tacky...

Bunbaker Mon 15-Oct-12 22:05:05

My MIL has one and she won't use it because it hums when she switches it on, so she sits and gets cold instead.

We have a coal effect gas fire. It keeps us lovely and toasty and means we can switch the central heating off.

LittlePickleHead Mon 15-Oct-12 22:10:56

I do love the gas effect, but the logistics of getting it put in are a bit of a nightmare for us so weve def decided against it. We don't really need the heat (it's generally a warm room) it's more to finish off the look of the room.

Is the buzzing a universal thing do you think? It does sound annoying.

Bunbaker Mon 15-Oct-12 22:25:13

I don't know. MIL's village doesn't have mains gas so she is restricted to an electric fire now as she is too old to cope with a real fire. I don't find the hum distracting at all and am surprised MIL does as her hearing isn't as good as it was.

Spirael Tue 16-Oct-12 11:56:59

We have a very cheap electric fire, after our gas fire was condemned and our chimney turned out that it was unsuitable as a vent!

Our electric fire does hum slightly, even when just the light is on, but it doesn't bother me particularly. To be honest, I actually prefer it to the former gas fire! I never thought I would when I bought it.

Admittedly it doesn't radiate as much heat, but that's useful as our thermostat is stupidly positioned on the opposite wall. Using our previous gas fire immediately turned the heating off - meaning freezing bedrooms at the end of the evening.

Since generally the central heating is absolutely fine, I can (and frequently do) turn the electric fire on to just give the illusion of a fire without producing any actual heat. Makes the room feel lovely and cozy on cold winter evenings!

I also feel like the electric fire is safer, justified or not, as there's no naked flame and/or gas fumes risk. There's also minimal risk of toddler DD burning herself - since it's basically a big fan heater and there's no way for her to reach the heating element.

So there you have it, I'm a convert. wink Will probably splash out for a better one for the next house!

LittlePickleHead Tue 16-Oct-12 13:31:59

Thanks Spirael - does it look real (or at least convincing enough)? I'm 'warming' to the idea grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now