Talk

Advanced search

Large chandeliers/fittings for high ceilings?

(12 Posts)
Pannacotta Mon 15-Oct-12 14:05:25

I need to find some large chandeliers/light fittings and am struggling to find anything which will work with our high ceilings, they are all around 3-3.5m in height.
I have seen a few things i like but they all looke like they might be a bit lost.
This is on my shortlist
www.johnlewis.com/150190/Product.aspx

I have looked a local lighting shops, no joy, and will also check the local antique shops but they are not great tbh.

I've also looked at Heals/Graham and Green/Holloways of Ludlow.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

7to25 Mon 15-Oct-12 15:38:14

Christopher Wray?

VerityClinch Mon 15-Oct-12 15:40:38

What's your budget? The Flos glass pendant is gorgeous but also about four hundred quid.

Try Tinsmiths? They have some lovely lights.

bureni Mon 15-Oct-12 15:42:43

Also check that your ceiling timbers are suitably reinforced to take the weight of the larger fittings

Pannacotta Mon 15-Oct-12 16:10:55

Not sure on budget, up to £400 perhaps a bit more if needed.
The ceiling is ok to take a heavy fitting, I have has this checked thanks, we have a large fancy ceiling rose so I need to make sure the fitting is in proportion to the rose.
Will have a look at C Wray and Tinsmiths.
Can you link to the FLos light Verity? I'm not sure which you mean as a few came up on Google when I looked.
Thanks

Jacaqueen Tue 16-Oct-12 00:20:18

I got mine from Cotterills. They are local to me but you can order online.

charleybarley Tue 16-Oct-12 00:46:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VerityClinch Tue 16-Oct-12 08:02:07

Flos Romeo Moon

As seen in the Soho Hotel bedrooms. Bloody lovely, and won't date in a way I expect some chandeliers will.

VerityClinch Tue 16-Oct-12 08:03:52

Flos in the Soho

One day my house will look like this wink

Pannacotta Tue 16-Oct-12 10:01:54

Thanks all, I have looked at Jim Lawrence and they have some gorgeous fittings but not much made from glass, am after something glittery!
Verity thanks for the links, can I ask what sort of light/effect the Flos light gives?
It is a bit more modern than I had planned for, though I quite like these George Nelson fittings too and they come in large sizes (first pic on link)
www.apartmenttherapy.com/helen-maria-nug-1-21498

VerityClinch Tue 16-Oct-12 10:25:15

I suppose it depends on the bulb, but I'd say a soft light, diffuse because of the pleats in the glass IYSWIM. Good bedroom light, Not so sure for a hallway or stairs. I covert one for my bedroom (late arts and crafts) and don't think it would look too modern.

Although I will probably end up with the similar one from Tinsmiths for a third of the price, realistically.

stickyvicky71 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:06:28

Friend of mine has one similar to this in her house in Bath and it looks fab. She has ceiling height of about 3m.
http://www.alexanderandpearl.co.uk/elle-6-arm-french-bronze-chandelier-7578-p.asp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now