Talk

Advanced search

Range or induction hob?

(7 Posts)
agora1 Sun 14-Oct-12 13:36:03

We had a quote for our new kitchen yesterday. In an ideal world I would have a range cooker with an induction hob, however that isn't going to be affordable, so my options are a Belling range with ceramic hob or in built oven with induction hob.

Which would be the best option?

Flatbread Sun 14-Oct-12 13:56:08

The second. Induction is really great for cooking, far more responsive than a ceramic cooker.

I personally would not buy an induction range. If something goes wrong with the induction burners, you probably will have to replace the whole range.

I have had induction for the last six years, first built in hobs and now free-standing. In the built in one, one of the burners stopped working after four years. I replaced the whole counter (luckily I was doing a kitchen remodel anyway) and went with a two burner portable induction and two gas burners. I have my eye on the zoneless newer induction models and am waiting for them to drop in price to upgrade. I'm my case, I will stick with countertop cookers as they really work for me. Very easy to replace, clean and imo, they look good. (Well, I went for a freestanding kitchen as well...think I might have a commitment problem blush )

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Sun 14-Oct-12 17:23:19

I like a gas hob but if I couldn't have that it would definately be an induction one. Ceramic hobs are not great.

pootlebug Sun 14-Oct-12 19:31:36

Definitely the 2nd. Induction is a million miles better than ceramic, and I'd prefer separate oven/hob than a range in any case.

agora1 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:58:30

Thanks for your replies.

What if I went for a range with a gas hob or is a separate induction hob the way to go?

MoreBeta Sun 14-Oct-12 21:10:02

If I had the choice I would go induction hob plus built in oven.

Two big advantages of induction over gas hob are a) very easy to clean and b) generate little or no heat other than in the pan.

The Ivy restaurant went for induction hobs a few years ago.

Imagine the incredible heat in a commercial kitchen with huge gas burners going full tilt for a whole shift you need some serious heat extraction but induction hobs mean the kitchen stays cool.

MoreBeta Sun 14-Oct-12 21:12:48

I had a ceramic hob a few years ago and agree with others. Induction much easier to control and more responsive than ceramic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now