Talk

Advanced search

Support thread for first time buyer!

(5 Posts)
Mum2Fergus Fri 12-Oct-12 16:21:31

Despite my advancing years I hope to be a FTB in the next 6 months, and I have absolutely no idea what to do, when to do it, or who to do it with! Im almost there with deposit and have just discovered the start of a new development in the area Im keen on. Fingers crossed now for a good deal from developer for getting in early (first release will be Spring 2013). Will keep chipping away ar deposit...meantime:
- can you still reserve new build properties with, for example, £500?
- should I pay reserve and then secure mortgage, or get mortgage (approved in principle) first?
- if I reserve too early, am I likely to lose out on extras-carpet, turf, appliances, etc?

Questions, questions...sure I'll have many more lol

TIA x

Mum2Fergus Sat 13-Oct-12 09:22:30

Ok, appt Monday to enquire about mortgage being approved in principle. Does anyone know how long it is valud for? Also, if I get it, will I still have to do the affordability thing with the developer before they will accept reservation?!

AlexanderS Sat 13-Oct-12 10:18:29

We got our mortgage approved in principle in August and it is valid until December (from Britannia).

Am also a first time buyer, waiting to exchange contracts, but am not buying a new build so can't advise you regarding that.

mizu Sat 13-Oct-12 20:46:21

Wow you must be so excited. We are saving for the deposit - £500 a month which is hard - but it will take us 3 more years i think, by which time i will be 42! Sorry can't help, hope everything goes well.

Mum2Fergus Sat 13-Oct-12 20:48:24

Thanks M, you'll get there...good regular saving habit is a great start, so well done you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now