Talk

Advanced search

My garage conversion is almost finished!

(9 Posts)
LittenTree Fri 12-Oct-12 15:17:03

But there's no way I could have coped with say a massive extension!!

The whole project from deciding to do it to now (with a week to go) has taken maybe 8 weeks. It's a 2/3 new living room and 1/3 retained garage space. The main hassles were:

-Being lead up the garden path re planning permission by the council themselves...

-Finding a builder who didn't require full architect design plans and 3D models of it! Luckily (and I was beginning to feel 'miraculously') one turned up who was capable of looking at the inside of our single, integral garage, look at my description (including a list of inclusions!) measure up and go 'oh yeah, you'll need this and this, and I'd overcome that problem with that' and with no teeth sucking or any 'look love, what you need to appreciate is...'

Can't wait.

FishfingersAreOK Fri 12-Oct-12 19:17:46

Brilliant. Now time to buy lots of pretty finishing touches grin

tricot39 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:19:33

Hooray. Nice to hear about a good builder for a change. There are lots about but people like to keep them to themselves!

LittenTree Fri 12-Oct-12 20:57:01

I shall sing mine's praises on Check-a-trade where I found him!

Boomboomboomboom Fri 12-Oct-12 20:59:53

What was a the cost? Was it a single or double garage?

LittenTree Sat 13-Oct-12 10:08:35

Single integral garage with up and over door (retained as part of the 'garage-store' end) and pre-existing door into the house hallway.

Final price includes:
New 1200mm x 1200 window fitted
New block dividing wall
New celotex floor, chipboarded
All walls plasterboarded inc one that needed a frame to hide plumbing and gas pipes (this wall was insulated, too), then skimmed
'Soundproof' PB on ceiling
All first fix electric (we supplied the 2 uplighters and face plates for 4x double sockets and dimmer switches, all up £150). Some cables needed redirecting away from the window hole.
Existing door retained but rehung inwards
New single radiator plumbed
Skirting and coving
'Boxing' the Potterton gas boiler
All painting
Visually attractive builder.

Excludes: new carpet and laying and Building Inspection costs (£320)
Oh and several wasted hours of mine getting the information for Planning Permission together which I didn't need! And bear in mind the external wall of the garage turned out to already be cavity insulated.

All up £5000. Hampshire. HTH.

oldnewmummy Sat 13-Oct-12 10:54:35

Visually attractive builder?

wink

startlife Sat 13-Oct-12 12:15:15

We're in your area and looking for sensibly priced builder (preferably not VAT reg)..I paid double that cost for a previous garage conversion so you've done really well.

I love when you get to the end of a project, it's such a relief.I really hope you enjoy the new space.

LittenTree Sat 13-Oct-12 13:02:54

here, startlife.

And yes, oldnew, 'attractive builder' was in the spec grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now