Talk

Advanced search

Can you resurface or 'retop' a laminate wood/effect floor?

(8 Posts)
LittenTree Fri 12-Oct-12 12:53:25

Our house has 'an abundance' of dark wood or wood effect laminate flooring. I don't know if it's 'engineered' ie is topped with a thin wood veneer or is just basically a photo of wood on top of plastic blocks!

The problem is it is scuffed and scratched especially where the dining room chairs are dragged in and out.

Is there a product we can overpaint on it to resurface it? Do we need to 'strip' it back or is the surface we have the actual surface of the product? You can't scratch any off with your nail, for instance. I can and do rub a bit of 'laminated wood effect floor repair' dye stuff on the deeper scratches but that really is for tiny areas.

Any thoughts?

PigletJohn Fri 12-Oct-12 13:51:18

find an edge and see how thick it is. Engineered will be about 12mm and will look like really rough ply

laminate will be about 5mm thich and look like hardboard, brown or green.

LittenTree Fri 12-Oct-12 14:58:38

piglet- you've answered about 3 of my questions already today!

I need to have a look at it, anyway, as we intend carpeting one room and we need to know if it's glued down or not.

PigletJohn Fri 12-Oct-12 15:10:11

That's £50, please smile

LittenTree Fri 12-Oct-12 15:17:36

Does that include VAT?

PigletJohn Fri 12-Oct-12 15:27:02

<taps nose>

1605 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:28:05

Walnut oil may cover up the worst of the scratches.

Wear and tear on a floor can make it look more attractive, not less.

LittenTree Fri 12-Oct-12 20:56:33

Sadly, on a real wood floor, wear and tear adds real character, but on mine, it's white-is scrapes and rubs (which would indicate it's plastic laminate, not engineered, I suppose!). I could try walnut oil, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now