Talk

Advanced search

How long does a sale take to complete once the searches & surveys have been done?

(10 Posts)

Ballpark/rough timescale please?

No chain. Offer made and accepted about 4 or 5 weeks ago, the survey has just been done, revised final offer made and accepted, afaik the searches are done.

Do you think we can we expect it to be done and dusted and the money in the bank for christmas? or is there just no way of knowing? Thanks.

Anyone? :-)

PigletJohn Fri 12-Oct-12 12:01:15

if they want to, either party can spin it out for months.

Or, if they both want to, it could be done in a week.

Solicitors do not understand the word "mañana" because to a solicitor, there is no word that conveys such a level of urgency.

Thanks, as far as I know there shouldn't be any reason for the buyers to spin it out for months, I'm sure they'd prefer to be in before Christmas. And we want it over and done with as quickly as possible so responding to any solicitors requests as soon as we can etc.

pinksummer Fri 12-Oct-12 12:12:48

Buying my first leasehold flat was 3 months from offer to completion. Buying my first house (with chain) was 2 1/2 months, and I had a div of a buyer who slowed things down. So you can defo be in before Christmas as long as everyone is aware and happy with that.

I hope you're right, Pinksummer! Thanks.

MousyMouse Sat 13-Oct-12 16:12:37

it took us 9 weeks to buy, from offer accepted to completion. could have done it about 2 weeks quicker, but the other side's solicitors were doing everything by snailmail which slowed it down a bit.

gindrinker Sun 14-Oct-12 19:48:28

Best part of six months with partial chain colapse, knobber sellers etc etc
It was 18 months ago we completed and I'm still bitter and never want to do it again.

MirandaWest Sun 14-Oct-12 19:50:59

I had one sale take 4.5 months from offer to moving and another take 7 weeks (and we delayed that by one week so could have been quicker).

LIZS Sun 14-Oct-12 19:54:10

Do you have the enquiries and fixtures/fittings list back yet? That in itself can throw up all sorts of issues such as missing buildings regs certificates, maintenance etc which could delay things. Also is there a confirmed mortgage offer in place ? Are you in a chain which may be working at a different pace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now