Talk

Advanced search

Tenancy Agreement in only DP name..

(9 Posts)
TheFantasticFixit Fri 12-Oct-12 11:05:47

Is it possible?

I have had poor credit in the past - not any longer but i am loathe to run a credit check on my profile in case it harms my good work! Is it possible to just have the agreement and credit check in my partners name? He can more than cover the cost of the rent etc.

SavoyCabbage Fri 12-Oct-12 11:07:42

As a landlord I would want you on the agreement as well if only because if something happens, I have two people to pursue rather than one.

TheFantasticFixit Fri 12-Oct-12 11:14:05

What about the credit check Savoy?

OnlyWantsOne Fri 12-Oct-12 11:16:40

In our last rented house (just bought now so out of rentals) DP and I were both on the agreement but only DP had the credit check as the rent came from his account and he could more than cover the rent alone.

SavoyCabbage Fri 12-Oct-12 11:41:15

Out last tenant was a bankrupt as it happens. We had her and her dp on the lease and her BIL as a guarantor.

She was in the house for almost three years and they always payed on time and were great tenants.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 12-Oct-12 11:43:55

I am on our contract as living here, but only my dh's income and credit was checked because I am SAHM. So basically he is liable for the whole rent.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 12-Oct-12 11:49:04

I tried to do this, but they wouldn't let me. I don't have a bad credit history or anything, but I'm disabled, and we didn't really want to pay for the credit checks etc twice.

We approached 17 estate agents, all of whom said it was now required that everyone in the house was checked. They did say that if I failed, they may be able to split the liability 80/20 to him, so we'd be accepted. I did have a piece of paper somewhere about the legal requirements for all adults in the house to be named on the agreement, but I can't find it. I have no idea if it's true!

They also said we could get a guarantor, if necessary.

MoreBeta Fri 12-Oct-12 11:53:25

The credit checks I used to run always showed up the credit history of related individuals living with someone - hence you wil probably show up on DPs credit search anyway.

TheFantasticFixit Fri 12-Oct-12 12:31:31

Ah right, i see. Okay looks like i'll have to do it probably. Thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now