Talk

Advanced search

I ruined my kitchen counter - is there anything I can do?

(8 Posts)
halfnhalf Thu 11-Oct-12 23:25:13

I've stupidly ruined a large patch of my kitchen counter - I left bleach on it - I don't want to have to replace it, and I'm posting here in the folorn hope that there's something I can do with it (is it a mad idea to paint it). It's formica - or whatever the modern equivalent is.

QueenMaeve Sat 13-Oct-12 00:42:11

I would give most things a go with paint, but don't know about a counter top, with all the use it gets. Could you cover the stain with a nice big chopping board? Like a big butchers block

MrsShrek3 Sat 13-Oct-12 01:15:50

Can't you just get the section replaced? I know you said you don't want but wondering...
What's the actual damage like and how big, btw?

GranToAirMissiles Sat 13-Oct-12 01:30:41

Bleach the whole thing, so there's no patch?

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 13-Oct-12 03:04:40

I have Formica and I bleach it all the time.
I'd do what Gran suggested and bleach the whole thing.

halfnhalf Sat 13-Oct-12 12:08:44

thanks all, I would bleach all over but the bleached out pattern looks awful, and it's too big a patch to cover easily. I'm thinking of painting, I've seen instructions on the net, but it'd be useful to know if anyone had done it.

QueenMaeve Sat 13-Oct-12 23:41:03

What about tiling over it? Houses in the US often have tiled counters & it looks well

Tnetennba Sat 13-Oct-12 23:51:13

I would see how much it is to replace. Formica is very reasonable and it is an easy(ish) job to fit.

Are you insured?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now