Talk

Advanced search

How much to supply and fit an internal (solid pine) door? - If you've had them done recently.

(10 Posts)
DueInSeptember Thu 11-Oct-12 21:01:10

Just wondering if anyone has had their internal doors replaced lately.

How much did it cost? I know this will vary according to the door and location etc, just trying to get a ballpark figure.

I've had a price off a carpenter who's done lots of work for us and is great, but I gulped when he told me the price. The doors and fitting (7 doors) will cost almost as much as our kitchen fitting cost.

discrete Thu 11-Oct-12 21:03:39

Much, much depends on the quality of the door. Prices vary dramatically.

Do you need to replace the frames too? It may be a lot easier and less expensive to get new doors which are the same size as the old ones and use the existing frames, if they are in reasonable shape.

DueInSeptember Thu 11-Oct-12 21:10:15

Thanks discrete. We're keeping the existing frames and the doors will be adjusted to fit. The doors are clear pine 6 panel doors.

PigletJohn Thu 11-Oct-12 22:06:05

About £80 a door

should be less if he is doing solid days and doing them all

fitting to an old and uneven frame may be a lot more work than putting new frames and architraves in, and will also be more work for you to redecorate afterwards. Door linings (internal "frames") are quite inexpensive. Ask him to fit the locks or catches and other door furniture too.

you mean lightweight pine doors, not fire doors?

DueInSeptember Thu 11-Oct-12 22:12:30

Thanks piglet john. Yes, just a normal door, not a fire door.

How much do you think it should cost (approx) with the door furniture included/ fitted too?

PigletJohn Thu 11-Oct-12 22:33:31

standard tubular latch and knobs should be included in that. Internal doors are only about 35mm thick so not really suitable for a mortice lock. you will probably buy the door furniture yourself in advance, the price will depend on your taste.

I like lift-off hinges as they make it so much easier to lift doors off and put them back for redecoration or carpetlaying.

If your chippy is quoting a lot, it might be that he can get better paid work fitting kitchens, or maybe he has a bad back and doesn't like lifting up doors.

DueInSeptember Thu 11-Oct-12 23:46:29

Thanks. The quote was over £1100 and that includes a couple of 'little' jobs around the house (maybe £200 of the cost at most). He priced up the doors/ fixtures from howdens and I'm not sure if it's the doors that are expensive or the fitting. A couple of the doors are more awkward. One needs to be trimmed byabout a third of its original size as it's for a shorter sized cupboard and one I would like opening the opposite way to what it currently is.

Perhaps we'll get some more quotes.

PigletJohn Thu 11-Oct-12 23:53:23

oh, you're including supplying the doors too?

they might be about £60 each so he's only charging about £40 each to fit.

not unreasonable.

I'd expect his day rate to be in the region of £130

DueInSeptember Fri 12-Oct-12 00:09:27

Ah, so it may not be too bad after all. Yes, it includes the doors, fixtures and fitting. Thanks Piglet John.

Sperrin17 Sat 15-Mar-14 11:24:42

I think you can get pine doors at The Door Store for around £50. But as far as fitting it goes probably best to ask around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now