Talk

Advanced search

Dark grey slate tiles for bathroom

(10 Posts)
Growlithe Wed 10-Oct-12 22:24:12

Hi,

We are getting the bathroom done soon. White bath, sink and toilet mounted on a sort of combined white 'unit' and wetroom. We once had romantic night in a Malmaison hotel and loved the bathroom, which had dark grey slate tiles on the walls and floor.

Would this look lovely in the home, or would we soon get fed up with it? The bathroom bloke has already said he'll have to have a rethink on lighting (he was pushing travertine).

TIA

saggybaps Wed 10-Oct-12 22:33:07

Step away from the real slate! I installed it on my bathroom floor for that raw cave-like feel/ look. It looks bloody awful. It very quickly, within a matter of weeks, became stained with water-marks & any water/ damp towels in leave a white bloom within the tile.

The tiler assures me he put on 5 coats of the best sealer on the market. I've scrubbed it with viakal to no avail. Another tiler even tried to strip it back but it made no difference.

I wish I'd bought a slate-style ceramic tile.

Growlithe Thu 11-Oct-12 06:58:07

Thanks for this saggy - thinking about it, the tiles we liked were actually slate style ceramic, but we had looked at some real slate, so I'll definately avoid them now. smile

Do you think the whole effect will be too dark in a family bathroom? Or could we get round this with clever lighting, and the fact that there will be two windows in the room (once we've knocked through to the currently separate loo)?

Onlyaphase Thu 11-Oct-12 07:03:26

I think it'll look lovely. We have this in a buy to let flat, and it looks great even though there are no internal windows.

The expanse of tiles is broken up with a border of small tiles - about the size of a twix - that are the same tiles, just in smaller pieces. This looks good, and takes away the feeling of it being just a great big expanse of darkness.

DigWeedSow Thu 11-Oct-12 07:33:38

We have a slate floor in our bathroom and it has been fantastic. It has been down for 6 years now and needs very little maintenance, just resealing every 1-2 years. We were that impressed by it that we now have the same slate flooring in our kitchen, utility room and boot room blush

Worley Thu 11-Oct-12 07:38:16

so lon as you don't use talc as it will get in all the little crevices and leave little white marks over it.. you can Hoover and mop as much as you want but it still leaves a residue in the roughness of the tiles iykwim
but I do love the look I slate.. I've opted for slate tiles in my kitchen smile

saggybaps Thu 11-Oct-12 07:43:15

We went for a whitish tile on the wall. I think I would poss only do 3 walls on the slate & maybe 1 wood clad wall, so it would be a little less cave-like, but still have a really natural feel. bung in a couple of bright green fern pot-plants & will look like something out of elle decor! Make sure your tiler gets the right colour grout too.

ToothbrushThief Thu 11-Oct-12 07:43:16

I have dark slate ceramic on two walls (one wall has white bath on it) if we'd done whole room it would have been overpowering. I choose a toning pale grey in same range for other walls. It looks lovely. I'm very pleased

musicalendorphins Thu 11-Oct-12 07:55:29

My friend painted her bathroom flat black. her sink, toilet and bath were white. She put white blinds on the window, and her husband installed a bright (nice) white light on the ceiling, plus they had bright lights above the mirror.
She put a black and white striped valance above the window, and the floor was white.
She had colourful accents, in jewel tones and gold, I was amazed at how not dark that it was.

Growlithe Thu 11-Oct-12 09:32:05

Think I'll hold my nerve and go for it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now