Talk

Advanced search

Notifying neighbours before planning application

(14 Posts)
LittleFrieda Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:06

We are about to submit a planning application and I wondered how people notified their neighbours prior to submission?

We are on excellent terms with our neighbours and what we are doing isn't controversial but me just popping round with my plans one evening after tea is a bit strange isn't it. And having to do that to four or five houses is a bit of a toil isn't it. What if they start pinning me down about this window or that window. Ugh.

My architect is clear that I show them the plans very briefly, that it's just an act of politeness, that they will get the chance to air their thoughts through the planning process

kellestar Wed 10-Oct-12 19:36:46

We had a note through the door from our neoghbours prior to their extension to talk about it and view plans. It was a fair few of us, tea and cake were offered.

lalalonglegs Wed 10-Oct-12 20:35:37

If you're on good terms with them, I'd go round and tell them that you are planning to build such and such and you'll be applying for planning consent but you'd be very happy to show them the plans before then and talk about what you want to do first.

TalkinPeace2 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:38:31

We took our drawings round - measured up the changes to their views, checked things with them - over a cuppa
and then kept them supplied with fizzy wine throughout
in exchange we got total support, access through their gardens, use of their electric and water when ours was off etc etc

LittleFrieda Wed 10-Oct-12 21:25:35

Ah this is all very encouraging. Thanks so much for sharing your stories.

MrsjREwing Wed 10-Oct-12 21:31:55

My neughbour was lovely before she got her extention, promised window cleaning after etc, she showed herself to be a fake bitch, as she showed her true face after. I won't even look at them after months of trouble and her hubby screamed at me over someone cleaning my guttering and I said not one word to them all those months. If you are fake or a hypocrite it will be noted.

MyNeighbourIsHorrid Wed 10-Oct-12 21:33:27

I took mine round to both sides, and talked them through our plans.

Our neighbours stunned us by applying for planning without any warning, and including windows on the boundary wall looking into our kitchen. They were aghast when we objected and we haven't spoken since.

LittleFrieda Wed 10-Oct-12 22:15:00

MrsJR eh? I should say, we are a detached house and there is no house within several metres of ours.

Way2Go Wed 10-Oct-12 22:15:15

I let my nieghbours know. It was good as we could reassure them about noise, hours of work, dust etc. My builder also suggested I give my nieghbours his number in case of any concerns, I thought that was a good move and it was welcomed by my nieghbours.

LittleFrieda Wed 10-Oct-12 22:16:35

MyNeighbourIsHorrid. ugh. that's a real shame. I would really hate not to be on speaking terms with my neighbours. I would rather not do the work.

LittleFrieda Wed 10-Oct-12 22:17:33

Way2go thanks. That's a good tip about the builder's number.

DowagersHump Wed 10-Oct-12 22:20:46

I think you only need to worry about immediate neighbours if your house is detached. I couldn't give a monkey's about the house whose back garden abuts mine or anyone further up or down the street

LittleFrieda Wed 10-Oct-12 22:22:49

I was thinking my two next door neighbours (one either side) and the two houses opposite and then one house that is at the back of me. <<wondering>>

MrsjREwing Wed 10-Oct-12 22:35:56

We are detached too, though closer than you are to your neighbours. I just won't waste my time on a two faced hypocrite with a shouty husband who was too pathetic to speak to the guttering guy, so shouted like a loon at a woman instead. The same woman who said nothing during months of filth, noise, allowing their builders on my land etc. They are invisable to me as they are twats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now