Talk

Advanced search

Anyone live in Chester?

(33 Posts)
FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 15:29:10

My mum is thinking of moving to Chester because it's roughly equidistant between my sister and I. She has visited Chester over the years as we used to live relatively close, so she knows the shops, Roman bits etc but we don't know the residential bits of Chester to know where to look for houses.

If anyone lives around Chester, could you give me an idea of decent areas or nearby villages to live in? She's retired, so schools aren't an issue, but she'd need to be safe, have decent local shops, maybe a park as she has a dog, and good transport links into the city centre. I'm ready to hit RightMove for her, so now I just need some place names if anyone can help. smile

TIA.

FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 18:33:27

Bump.

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 18:38:13

I used to.
Villages nearby but more countrified would be Tarporley, Kelsall, Tarvin for example.
On the Welsh side there is Kinnerton and environs.
Nearer the thick of things in Chester would be Handbridge and Hoole.

FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 18:48:34

You are a star! I was beginning to think that Chester was underrepresented on Mumsnet grin

After I'd told mum all about how thewre was bound to be someone on there who could help us. There is, and her name is Isla! Thanks.

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 18:52:52

It has been a while since I was there, but you can pm me if you need to.
I will try and help if I can.

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 18:54:44

Curzon Park is very nice, but can be expensive, it is a walk into town.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 09-Oct-12 18:55:44

Damn- Beaten to it!
I second Handbridge and Hoole for lovely residential parts of Chester.

FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 19:01:32

Thanks everyone. She's ideally looking for £110k, and Hoole and Handbridge only seem to have retirement flats in her price range.

Any idea for "next area down" from Handbridge and Hoole which is a bit cheaper? I'm trying to avoid showing mum stunners like this.

FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 19:03:18

Oh, and if Chester really is a non-start at this sort of price range, please feel free to tell me. I'll add it to Prestatyn and Llandudno and Southport as the "just too dear to get anything nice but cheap category".

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 19:10:00

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35661256.html
Found this in Hoole but you will struggle a bit at that price range.

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 19:10:30

Sorry didn't link properly, numpty that I am.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 09-Oct-12 19:12:26

Try looking at Curzon Park and Westminster Park.

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 19:14:04

You get get something on the Flintshire side of Chester at that price.
There is also Ellesmere Port although I don't know the area so can't comment on the desirability factor.

IslaValargeone Tue 09-Oct-12 19:14:43

I'd probably avoid the Prestatyn route if you can.

FireOverBabylon Tue 09-Oct-12 19:17:00

Thanks ladies. I'm off to zumba but will be back later on to have another trawl on Right Move.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 09-Oct-12 19:17:38

Does it have to be a house or would she consider a flat like this?

SauvignonBlanche Tue 09-Oct-12 19:18:12

I'd avoid Ellesmere Port.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 09-Oct-12 19:20:34

If she's after something a bit less pricey then the Boughton/hoole area is probably a good bet.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 09-Oct-12 19:23:46

Or failing that, yes agree the Flintshire or Deeside areas may have more in that kind of price range. Depends how far out of the city she's prepared to go really.

There's some lovely villages only a bus ride away.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 09-Oct-12 19:24:04

This has a garden.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 09-Oct-12 19:26:49

Looks nice, very short bus away from the city.

Saltney has some rough areas admittedly but some bits are lovely.

oddslippers Tue 09-Oct-12 19:46:46

this is in blacon, which in some points is a bit rough however this property is nearly on the boundary with saughall which is actually quite a posh area. My sister used to live on this road it is very quiet and has access close by to the Chester green way, which is an old railway track converted into a path for walkers and cyclists so ideal for the dog. I grew up very near by so know the areas well, my sis still lives close.

oddslippers Tue 09-Oct-12 19:51:26

m.rightmove.co.uk/quickPage.html?page=8&cc=html5%2Fhomepage.html%3Fgoto%3DHOMEPAGE#home link again, if doesn't work put in blacon into rightmove, property is £115000 (always a deal to be done!) Naomi close

oddslippers Tue 09-Oct-12 19:54:41

last try!

guineapiglet Tue 09-Oct-12 19:57:42

Lived there a long time ago and it is really lovely, lots to do and a really great vibe - been back a lot recently and it is still fabulous. Best to start with what she 'needs' like bus routes/shops/doctors etc, hospital is very good, shops are excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now