Talk

Advanced search

Painting below dado rail - do I paint the radiator or leave it white?

(8 Posts)
Windowbasket Tue 09-Oct-12 12:40:29

I'm about to paint the panelling below the dado rail in F&B 'downpipe'. The radiator is white. What would you do - leave it white or paint in downpipe?

nocake Tue 09-Oct-12 12:45:29

I would paint it so it disappears against the wall, unless it's a stylish feature rad that you want to show off.

MandaHugNKiss Tue 09-Oct-12 12:45:41

What are you doing with the skirting? Door frames? Window sills? I think the answer may influence what I would do...

Ponders Tue 09-Oct-12 12:50:34

I have some matching & some white. radiators need to be done with stronger (???) paint than ordinary emulsion, because of the heat - do F&B do gloss or "metal paint" in your colour?

Ponders Tue 09-Oct-12 12:52:48

oh, it looks as if they do - this is from the Homebase F&B page:

Estate Eggshell
An extremely robust and durable eggshell finish. Ideal for all interior woodwork and metal, including radiators. Easily wiped and washed clean with 20% sheen

nocake Tue 09-Oct-12 18:06:02

Radiators can be painted with a standard wood paint. I prefer a satinwood as it gives a better finish. You don't need a special paint and definitely don't use a radiator paint as they're rubbish, hard to put on and really smelly.

ceres Tue 09-Oct-12 21:11:18

all my radiators are painted the same colour as the walls. they are not attractive - just bog standard ones - and painting them helps them to 'disappear' into the wall.

i use ordinary matt emulsion paint and have never had any problems.

Ponders Tue 09-Oct-12 22:27:56

the F&B eggshell sounds like satinwood (I did mine in satinwood)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now