Talk

Advanced search

Flooring solution with long join to carpet??

(7 Posts)
Macarooned Tue 09-Oct-12 11:41:58

I am trying to work out the logistics for turning the end of our carpeted living room into dining space, there are 2 issues I hope someone can help with...

First the edge between carpet and new wipeable floor is about 3.5m long but metal/wooden join strips seem to have max length of 2.7m, is there another option or would a join be so terrible?

Then secondly, as this is a temporary (1-2yr) change until our extension work happens, what wipeable floor is best....lino I guess is cheaper but if we glue it down will it peel back off easily? Or would (cheap) laminate be better..?

Any advice would be v gratefully received

FishfingersAreOK Tue 09-Oct-12 11:56:41

If it is only for 1-2 years why not just have carpet throughout?

TalkinPeace2 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:03:19

Ask these people www.crusader-carpets.com/
they will know what is available and what will look best.
The work they did on my 2.8 metre bamboo / carpet junction is gorgeous

Macarooned Tue 09-Oct-12 13:30:29

Fishfingers - thanks I should have said in my OP, my kids are 3 & 4 and fairly messy eaters/drinkers, I'm not sure i could keep up with the carpet cleaning 2-3times a day and I don't want a small plastic sheet under them either <fussy>

Thanks talkin I will look at that company

PigletJohn Tue 09-Oct-12 13:42:42

vinyl flooring does not have to be glued down. It flops down flat and stays. Some people like to run silicone sealeant round the edges for the joint with the skirting board. If the old floor is floorboards (planks) or uneven it will need a layer of harboard or thin ply, otherwise it will wear out very fast in lines.

Linoleum flooring is almost never used now.

A join in the strip will not be too bad, but I would prefer to put the big piece in the middle (or wherever the main traffic path is) with short bits at the end where they will not get trampled or kicked much.

FishfingersAreOK Tue 09-Oct-12 14:02:02

Ahhh...I did not have this problem...and still don't....I am blessed with a labrador....grin

Macarooned Tue 09-Oct-12 14:14:26

Fishfinger....sadly DP will not countenance a dog, a v jealous!

Pigletjohn- thank you! That is just the answer I was looking for, DP said glue would be needed and I just believed him, you have made me v happy... and thanks for note on Lino vs vinyl you saved me some embarrassment in shops there grin. Good point about the joins at the sides, that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now