Asked for 2 years, got six months :-((14 Posts)
Meh, we asked our landlords to renew our tenancy for two years, but the new contract arrived yesterday. For six months.
We have been here 18 months, never missed rent, looked after the house, only asked for repairs when absolutely unavoidable - a toilet not flushing and a pipe leaking. We didn't even ask for new flooring when the torrential rain flooded the house, so we have the bare tiles in the living room and the laminate in the hall is lifting.
The landlords used to live here, and we are really wirried tgat they want to move back.
We were hoping to ask for a cat too :-(
The contract doesn't acknoledge that the inventory has changed - ie that there is no carpet and water damage.
We don't want to lose this house - we are settled. We were even thinking of offering to buy it, and will (barring unforeseen stuff) be ready to buy in about two years.
Are we allowed to suggest our own contract back?
I also rent and this has been my biggest worry about renting. The fear of settling in one place only to be taken away.
There is not much you can do apart from either appeal to landlord to extend or you accept and spend the next 6 months planning your next move.
Tbh from what you describe the house to be I would have thought you would be well rid! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Definitely put the inventory changes in writing then you have evidence should you move out and the LL attempt to make deductions.
The house is lovely though, and a bargain. Four bedrooms, spacious, front and back garden (one of about 5% of the street with a front garden) kids playing out, near a park and playground, walking distance of mine and DHs work (I sell makeup door to door, with a very good round - I could lose that if I moved too far, potentially costing us about £200 a month, more at Christmas) two toilets, double glazing, I actually like being able to mop the floors as the DDs are 2 and 5, street almost pedestrianised - just perfect.
But then the landlords son was 2 when we moved in, and I can't help but feel that I would rather live here with a 3.5 yo than rent it out...
6 months is just the standard contract. Doesn't mean the landlord necessarily wants to boot you out at the end of it, just that they don't want to comit to a two year contract right now. It'll default onto a period tenancy, which usually means that the landlord has to give you two months notice if they want you to leave.
If you'll be in a position to buy soon, then probably best to hold onto that plan, but be prepared to buy somewhere else if necessary. Your landlord may not want to sell.
We're not 100% sure about being able to buy, but buying here would reduce the clarting bout massively.
I was going to redecorate (paintwork showing wear and tear) and repaint the decking and fence, but is there even any point?
I want o avoid a periodic tenancy like the plague. Last house we had, we got two months notice with no warning. So we had to find moving costs, deposit, a new house, worry about schools and nursery, and so on, whilst still paying rent where we lived, while I happened to be seriously ill, in two months.
That wouldn't even happen without warning if we had a mrtgage that we stopped paying, and we were paying our rent perfectly and even living without an oven because the landlord was dragging thir feet with repairs.
maybe it was a mistake? call them to clarify.
I should think you could try asking for a better agreement, nothinh ventured nothing gained, tell the LL your plans to paint etc etc
I'd query it with the LL and ask (innocently) whether you should start putting feelers out for another property to move into in the spring - the thought that they might lose good tenants might make them reconsider or it could give you a definite answer on whether they plan to move back. Good luck.
I wouldn't go replacing decking or fence, etc on a house you don't own. You can ask the landlord to do those things, and paint too. That should be what you're paying for. But if the landlord won't, and it's not actually essential to do so, then probably best to hold onto your money and save up to buy.
You should write to them to put right the inventory though. Best to get that cleared up asap.
Do you rent through an agency? If so, they may have an idea whether the landlord might be looking to sell. Or just ask direct. Won't hurt to do so.
Management agents are useless showers of shite. It's perfectly possible it's all a cock up. As them to confirm that the owner explicitly didn't want to sign up for 2 years and, if so, why. Point out that you want security of tenure and, if you have the stomach for it, gently imply that if your LL can't guarantee you that you might look for somewhere that can.
Worst case - they are thinking of moving back in, but then better to know than not to.
Best case - the estate agent realises they made an admin error and you get your 2yr contract.
Ditto the inventory thing. They probably just sent you the standard paperwork without a second thought. Just get them to correct it. Honestly can't remember the last time I got correct paperwork first time from a letting agent.
It could be the managing agents possibly as the landlord would have to pay for an extention each time and a 6 month let is more common.
the landlord will probably be thrilled to have a tenant in place for two years but for the sake of your own protection and for theirs, they're using a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement. I have a feeling that it can't be issued for longer than a year in order for landlord to get teh protection it offers (in terms of being able to get you out ultimately) but landlords will generally renew, provided it's on the same assured shorthold.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.