Talk

Advanced search

Is there any reason we can't put a wooden worktop on top of cheapo kitchen cupboards?

(15 Posts)
lucysnowe Sun 07-Oct-12 15:50:40

Hi all

We have almost (finally) decided on a kitchen :-) but we would like to put a thinnish solid wood worktop on top of a cheap (Wickes' Stanford) cupboard range. Is there any reason why this would look weird or make it fall down or something?? Has anyone else done it? Any advice appreciated :-)

lalalonglegs Sun 07-Oct-12 18:35:19

A nice wooden worktop could make cheap units look nicer - lots of places I used to visit to write interiors articles bought Ikea/Wickes/Howdens kitchens and gussied them up with fancy worktops and nice accessories. They would have to be incredibly poor quality to buckle under it so I wouldn't worry.

bureni Sun 07-Oct-12 18:38:25

a wooden worktop would not weigh any more than a standard worktop, probably less.

wifeofdoom Sun 07-Oct-12 18:38:41

Go for it! We put granite on ikea - looks lovely and I think it tarts it up a treat!

lovessummer Sun 07-Oct-12 18:41:32

That's exactly what we did with ours and it looks gorgeous!

TalkinPeace2 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:14:57

we have solid bamboo on white ikea - we love it

amazonianwoman Sun 07-Oct-12 21:26:40

Is bamboo meant to be harder wearing than eg iroko or walnut? Saw a beautiful Lapsang strand woven bamboo sample in John Lewis on Friday.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:28:49

ours takes an utter pasting - it has marks on it but the grain covers it up
probably needs a re oil this winter
its 4 years old
bought it online ....
and the best bit is that as the grain goes evenly all the way through, offcuts got used as shelves and stuff

amazonianwoman Sun 07-Oct-12 21:44:39

Please can I ask where you bought it, colour etc? smile

TalkinPeace2 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:49:54

I think it was these people
www.bambooflooringcompany.com/bamboo-worktops/cat_25.html
and then the flooring came from here
www.simplybamboo.co.uk/index.php

I got samples - interestingly I got Oak and maple samples too and use all three as hot mats - the bamboo definitely looks the best after 4 1/2 years....

TalkinPeace2 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:53:09

ps - old picture of the nearly finished kitchen on my photos ....

amazonianwoman Sun 07-Oct-12 22:30:25

Great thanks!

I can't access your profile/photos though...

SoozleQ Sun 07-Oct-12 22:47:02

We've just put solid iroko on ikea cabinets and it looks fab. smile

Heleninahandcart Mon 08-Oct-12 00:15:02

I've had iroko extra thick wood on Wickes cupboards for 4 years now. Also an island with 90 cm wide iroko over the same cupboards. Looks great.

lucysnowe Mon 08-Oct-12 07:22:55

Oh thanks guys so much! I was a bit worried it was a no no. Think the new kitchen is a go now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now