Talk

Advanced search

New kitchen (yay!) from scratch... anyone have a Brita water tap?

(11 Posts)
MandaHugNKiss Sun 07-Oct-12 14:22:31

We're completely replacing the floor, kitchen, utility and bathroom before decorating and even thinking of moving into our new house... so, job the first: the kitchen!

We're pretty much decided on most of the stuff but then the brita water taps caught my eye. At around the same price as the one I was going to get which just looks fab rather than having any specific function, I'm wondering: should I chose the brita tap instead to benefit from filtered water on tap

So, who has one (or knows of someone with one)? Are they recommended? How long does a filter last, in general?

Oh, actually, one other connected thing: if we're having quartz worktop, do we have to get an underbuilt sink? The one I really like isn't (and, actually, I don't particularly want the grooves put into the quartz to serve as a draining board).

PigletJohn Sun 07-Oct-12 14:38:37

my commercial premises have a similar inline filter, without a tap, going to the water cooler. I don't know if the Brita one is any better or worse than the others, though it is a well-known brand name. In this area the tapwater is very hard and not very pleasant to drink. You can get replacement filters in various brands and prices. I think you need to be sure to change the filter cartridge regularly.

Here and here are some others. In the pictures the Brita cartridge looks a non-standard shape.

MandaHugNKiss Sun 07-Oct-12 14:56:17

Thanks, PJ (do you happen to know about the sink issue?)

PigletJohn Sun 07-Oct-12 15:02:52

I don't like undermounts, I like stainless. Have recently bought a Bistro sink which has no worktop under it, it goes from wall to front edge.

myron Sun 07-Oct-12 15:12:38

I have a quartz worktop with a stainless steel Franke inset sink. I am another who doesn't like undermounts nor the grooves in the worktop style - it's a matter of personal preference. As for the Brita water tap - I don't have one but I do have a plumbed in American style fridge freezer which has chilled filtered water. Another option would be a boiling water tap which have filtered cold and hot water. I have one of those too - so plenty of filtered water on tap!

MandaHugNKiss Sun 07-Oct-12 15:40:04

Oh, good! (about not having to have an undermount) When we were sat with the howdens salesman he said 'oh you're having quartz tops? So you'll need an undermount sink...' and as I was jiggling DS3 on my knee it didn't occur to me to say 'hey, wait, do we have to have it?'

'Tis a galley kitchen, myron (4.68m x 1.89m) so no room for an american style fridge freezer (much to DF's chagrin - he coverts one that has a crushed ice dispenser). That's a whole lot of water coming into your kitchen - sounds great!

I'm thinking the brita filter system not least because we're only planning to stay here maybe four years and when it comes to reselling, the average person willl recognise the brita name (don't worry - I'm not deluded it'll add value! Just might be a little swaying point wink)

MandaHugNKiss Sun 07-Oct-12 15:46:38

Just googled bistro sink to see what you're talking about PJ - really like them! But I fear the size of the kitchen means it'll overpower (especially as it'll be kinda adjacent to the oven/hob/hood which are stainless too).

I need a bigger kitchen!

Next time... even though I don't actually cook very much

Deesy Mon 06-May-13 21:28:33

I'm about to get a new kitchen (yay to me too) and we have to get rid of our american fridge freezer. I want to put in a chilled filter water tap and wonder if you went for a Brita tap, and if you did, how you got on with it. Has anyone else got any experience and one's they would or wouldn't recommend?

dottygamekeeper Tue 07-May-13 12:20:22

I have a Franke tri-flow tap, so hot, cold and filtered, but not chilled. When we were doing our kitchen the Brita taps were just about to be launched but we got a good offer on the Franke tap so went with that. Has been good, cartridges last for 6 months, but are relatively expensive if you buy the Franke ones (there are other non branded ones, which I haven't tried). We fill up glass reusable bottles with filtered water and keep them in the fridge so we always have plenty of chilled filter water ready to drink, and the bottles we use (which are actually French lemonade bottles) look attractive enough to put on the table at meal times.

Prior to having this tap we just used a Brita filter jug and filled up the bottles, but having the filtered tap is very convenient.

Deesy Thu 09-May-13 21:17:31

Thanks - the water bottles are a great idea as you can get some nice looking ones now. Maybe I'll not worry too much about the chilled part and just put in a filter tap.....

Pannacotta Thu 09-May-13 23:01:24

dotty where did you get your Franke tap from?
I really like their tri-flow taps but they are usually £££.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now