Talk

Advanced search

Help! Estimating cost of a renovation project?

(6 Posts)
thegrandsophy Fri 05-Oct-12 23:00:25

I thought I was the least likely person to consider a renovation project given a willingness to embrace other people's taste and having no ideas of my own. However am now contemplating a renovation project in south west London. Who can I ask (and pay if necessary) to give me an idea of costs before seriously considering buying? Architect ? Builder? Surveyor? Any recommendations? Am I mad?

tricot39 Fri 05-Oct-12 23:22:01

A qs is probably the best person but you need to be able to.give them an idea of your taste/budget. So research types of kitchens you would want, door handles, taps/bathroom fittings and lightfittings. That will give them a good idea of where to pitch it. Basically you can spend anything from 500 - 4000 per square metre on a house depending on your taste. Try sawyer and fisher for sensible advice. Think they are based south of london. Another way is to think in lump sums like 5k for a basic bathroom replacement and 10k for an ikea type kitchen with nice touches. (if you are spending less than those sorts of figures it is probably not worth asking a qs for advice tho). A loft seems to be 20-40 basic. You might be better posting about the size of the house in square metres and a list of what needs doing and people can give you the prices they have paid.

thegrandsophy Fri 05-Oct-12 23:27:41

That is great. Am def thinking those sorts of sums or even a bit more. House appears fairly sound but is big (2600 sq ft) and needs complete refit. Can I pay them to come and see the house with me? Would they factor in project manager etc.?

tricot39 Fri 05-Oct-12 23:38:27

They would include professional fees and other expenses in their costs if appropriate. Also contingency. For a small job an architect might charge 15% of the total cost of the building works. But an alternative is to save on a qs and get a sensible architect via recommendation (warning there are lots of different types and not all are great with money so ask about!!). I just suggested a qs because you asked about money but an architect could do that and make it gorgeous - if you get the right one! Pm me if you want a suggestion for someone!

thegrandsophy Fri 05-Oct-12 23:56:36

Have pm'd you. Have to not get too excited by potential gorgeousness if house before can put suns on it!

thegrandsophy Fri 05-Oct-12 23:57:38

If=of; suns=sums btw...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now