Talk

Advanced search

Granite kick boards anyone?

(16 Posts)
aylsham Thu 04-Oct-12 14:22:02

I'm about to have a new double butler sink and granite Worktops fitted in my otherwise good painted kitchen. The only thing I don't like about painted kitchen is the kickboards get damaged because I'm clumsy with Hoover, mops etc and the dogs make a mess of them too. Thinking of getting granite kick boards to match the Worktop - anyone done this?Any views/advice please?

madwomanintheattic Thu 04-Oct-12 14:33:23

Um. Not seen, personally. Ours are just painted in one of the darker granite colours. Easy enough to touch up if necessary. I personally wouldn't bother, and I'm pretty sure that none of the top end resort condos here don't bother, and they have pretty much every other bell and whistle going. I can't see it being much of a selling point/ adding any value, but hey, I've been wrong before. Better to get one of those scuff resistant paint finishes?

oscarwilde Thu 04-Oct-12 17:26:12

It seems like a fairly costly solution but each to their own grin. It really depends what you clean your floor with - I had granite and marble tiling in a bathroom and anything with any form of acid or bleach in it, marked the black granite instantly. It looked terrible.

lalalonglegs Thu 04-Oct-12 19:10:17

If you're clumsy, wouldn't you end up banging your feet against them and breaking a toe? I think it would look a bit odd, tbh.

madwomanintheattic Thu 04-Oct-12 19:57:45

Having pondered this some more, I think it would look bloody weird. I don't want shiny surfaces at under-cupboard level - I would want the focus to be on/ eyes to be drawn to the work surfaces themselves, and possibly the feature floor. Granite kick plates would detract.

ArbitraryUsername Thu 04-Oct-12 22:00:38

Surely the more sensible thing would be to match your kick plates to your flooring (if you have tiles or wood, rather than Lino) rather than have them match the worktops. You wouldn't notice them if they were the same as the floor.

motn Thu 04-Oct-12 22:46:29

I have em. I have a white kitchen, dark grey granite with matching upstands (no tiling) with white walls above, and the same granite on the kickboards.

Floor is terracotta tiling.
Looks great to me.

aylsham Fri 05-Oct-12 15:24:15

Mmm you've got me thinking again now. . . Any pics motn - cant seem to see any images of what it would look like. My floor is wonderful original Cornish granite flagstones a sort of dark pink grey, if that helps discussion?

ArbitraryUsername Fri 05-Oct-12 15:33:19

Could you get the kick boards made in the cornish granite (or very similar to it), rather than what you're getting for a worktop? They would just blend into the floor then.

madwomanintheattic Fri 05-Oct-12 15:35:21

That's quite common here - the flooring being used for the kick boards...

<we all wanna see your kitchen, now, motn!>

motn Sun 07-Oct-12 21:24:55

sorry only just seen this.

will see if I can find a pic.

Yes, granite the same colour as your floor would work too.

I'm very happy with mine, doesn't show any dirt, can be slopped with mop etc..smile

PigletJohn Mon 08-Oct-12 00:15:22

if you've got more money than you need, why not?

It will need some special method of attachment bodged up fabricated as it will not clip to the unit legs in the usual way. Perhaps it could be glued into place with silicone sealant. It will be tiresome to remove when access is needed.

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 08-Oct-12 11:19:33

What if they fall and break your toe?!

We're having a painted kitchen with dark wood floors - I might fit flooring planks as kick boards..

What about just doing a darker paint colour?

motn Mon 08-Oct-12 21:56:00

have put some pics on my profile. This is in our holiday flat, can't get there at the mo to lie down and photograph properly so not sure if you can see much.

Where we live granite is as cheap as chips...luckily.

At home also have the same kickboards as counter top - silestone. No idea how they're attached but they've been there for 15 years.

PigletJohn Mon 08-Oct-12 23:34:36

hello motn

just looked at your pics

don't you hit your head on the cupboards over the sink?

motn Tue 09-Oct-12 21:54:23

No, PJ, no-one's ever hit head on cupboard over sink AFAIK!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now