Advanced search

How much to knock kitchen and dining room together?

(9 Posts)
41notTrendy Wed 03-Oct-12 20:44:09

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question... but
We live in a decent size 3 bed semi. We have a porch at the back of kitchen and a conservatory at the back of the dining room. I'd like to knock them all into one big room but I have no idea what sort of cost might be involved. There wouldn't be much plumbing to do and the only appliance we'd need is a new oven/hob. We'd not look to do it on the cheap, just decent quality.

41notTrendy Wed 03-Oct-12 21:19:33

Hopeful bump?

Yorky Wed 03-Oct-12 21:38:43

I presume you want more than just a serving hatch between kitchen dining room? grin
If you want to take out the wall between the 2 rooms you'll need a steel to hold uo the floor above, which costs to work out how big the steel needs t be, and then obviously for the work! You'll have a kind of sticky out bit of wall on either side to support the steel so it may be obvious that its a knock through, but maybe that could be disguised by a breakfast bar or cupboards?

There are guidelines for how much a conservatory can be part of the main house - I think it should have external quality doors between it and the main house, but I suppose you could have sliding folding type doors to open out and make it feel part of the long room?

I'm afraid I've got no idea on costings of the above though sad

Karbea Wed 03-Oct-12 21:48:17


We've just done something similar, it wasn't a supporting wall, we had 3 radiators capped and one reinstated and 2 power points added and 3 removed, and a switch moved. Plus they put up some kitchen cabinets fir us that we already owned. There was some (not much plastering) done and it came to just over £3.5k we had 2 quotes and this was the cheaper one.

nipitinthebud Wed 03-Oct-12 21:50:36

We knocked through our dining and kitchen and it was £1000 to remove the wall and make good the opening. Seem to recall it didn't required a steel as it wasn't a load bearing wall? But not really sure I've got that right?

41notTrendy Wed 03-Oct-12 21:54:08

Not a serving hatch, very 70s grin
The kitchen has already been extended (think the house once had coal house) so external wall there already has got a supporting beam. Not dining room though, so 4/5 m of external/supporting wall will need sorting. Conservatory has proper double glazed UPVC doors.
Not seeming too pricey so far then smile

whistlestopcafe Wed 03-Oct-12 22:14:30

If it's not a supporting wall it doesn't have to cost anything. Dh knocked a couple of walls down himself, he is a structural engineer so knows what he is doing. If it is straightforward you don't have to pay a pay a builder to do a labouring job.

41notTrendy Wed 03-Oct-12 22:32:32

I shudder at the thought of either of us in charge of a sledgehammer. grin
Not sure we have the confidence to do it ourselves. And I presume the wall between kitchen and dining room holds up our bedroom, so that will need holding up!

whistlestopcafe Wed 03-Oct-12 22:38:24


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: