Talk

Advanced search

Fencing to keep cats safe in the garden

(10 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Wed 03-Oct-12 16:11:05

I posted this in the Litter Tray but it's busier in here and there are lots of experts in DIY/construction etc around so hoping someone might be able to help.

Just moved to a new house that is on a busy road. We are keeping the cats inside for a few weeks till they are settled, but before I introduce them to the garden I want to make sure it's safe and that they can't get round to the road. Obviously we'll only let them out of the back door, but one side of the garden borders a dirt track that feeds out onto the main road. The dirt track only leads to a handful of houses so not many cars go down it, but I'm worried that the cats might go all the way down it to the main road.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to the fence to keep the cats in the garden? Or are there any types of fences that are hard for cats to get over?

It would have to be a solution that's easy on the eye as the dirt track leads to a well used footpath and we are in a chocolate box village so I'll not get away with making it look like Fort Knox.

On the other hand, I don't care what it costs (within reason) - cat safety is my number one priority!

haggisaggis Wed 03-Oct-12 16:23:34

This comes up if you google - no idea on cost www.katzecure.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=15&Itemid=29

PigletJohn Wed 03-Oct-12 16:29:54

I can't believe that any fence will keep cats in.

Fizzylemonade Wed 03-Oct-12 16:35:36

My friend had 6 cats and they moved to a house that backed onto a main road.

Now this is where I point out that they absolutely love their cats so they put a cat flap in that led to a "run" which was a covered tunnel thing, it led to a pergola.

The pergola was wrapped in I suppose fruit netting, the type of stuff you put over your fruit and veg to protect it from birds. From the house you could not see the netting at all it just looked like a pergola.

It kept the cats completely safe for 10 years and then they moved house, just removed the netting from the pergola for the new owner. They now live in a much more rural location.

pchip Wed 03-Oct-12 18:30:03

We installed this a few years back and it works perfectly. Kept our Abyssinians in and kept neighbourhood cats out if our garden. Only issue we had was foxes dug under the wooden fencing once a year to access our neighbours gardens on both sides (must've been mating season or territorial thing?)

http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/

A London based fence firm installed it for us. PM me if you want their details and live within 60-70 miles of London. I can try digging up pics of our old garden as well so you can see how they improvised in odd places.

fossil97 Wed 03-Oct-12 22:22:35

How athletic are your cats? Ours have been reasonably contained with 6ft picket fencing with pointy tops, across the side of the house so not right on the roadside. The fence was designed with a gate in it to get through to the back of the house. Occasionally they scrambled over it but mostly they couldn't be bothered. Before we had the fence we lost 2 cats sad to the main road because there was no boundary, they just wandered where they fancied and over the road in the field was better hunting.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 03-Oct-12 22:53:45

Thanks all. Pchip that system looks like it might have potential, I shall study it more closely.

Fossil they are not Houdini cats; they didn't stray far from our old garden so a simple tall fence may well do the job. I'm just paranoid - it only takes one car... Sorry to hear you lost cats. sad

PigletJohn Wed 03-Oct-12 22:58:47

I think I might be happier with a cat that knew its way around, and could find its way home if it got out.

fossil97 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:27:07

You can always start with a simple solution and add to it if you need to. Glad to hear you moved house BTW.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:16:01

with our cats I let them out the front just as I knew the bus was about to roar past.
They scarpered back in and have rarely ventured out the front again
you could fix it with a friend with a VERY loud car / horn / revving ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now