Talk

Advanced search

Planning rules in a conservation area

(17 Posts)
CuthbertDibble Wed 03-Oct-12 13:25:05

Does anyone know where I can find any detailed planning rules for conservation areas?

We live in a conservation area and I was under the impression that the planning rules were much stricter than in other areas but I can't seem to find any detailed information.

Sushiqueen Wed 03-Oct-12 13:35:26

They can vary by council so you would need to contact them.

I live in a conservation area as well and our local council website has a lot of information on there. They were also very helpful when I emailed them with a general query. There is usually an email address for them - or the planning team will forward it on.

UdderlyBanal Wed 03-Oct-12 13:36:40

These will almost certainly be on your council's website. You need to read them carefully.

CuthbertDibble Wed 03-Oct-12 13:46:11

Thanks, will take another look.

Have already made a complaint to the planning office but it would seem their interpretation of 'to match existing' and ours are somewhat different.

Sausagedog27 Wed 03-Oct-12 19:47:41

What do you mean op? To match existing means exactly that- ie if windows you can't replace timber with uPVC in same style as that wouldn't match existing, or replace clay roof tiles for concrete, even if they are the same profile. (just picking out 2 v common examples!)

It can vary from area to area- best thing is to have a chat with the conservation officer. You can always apply for permission and appeal the refusal if it gets that far.

In a conservation area proposals should protect or enhance the character of the conservation area- that's what they will be looking at.

If its a modern building in a conservation area sometimes councils remove permitted development rights to ensure that design of building or materials isn't degraded further along the line as well.

Hope this makes sense, just trying to give a few examples.

CuthbertDibble Thu 04-Oct-12 08:43:49

It's not our house. We've made complaints to the planning office that a neighbour is not complying. We have no objections to the extension, we do object to the non-matching bricks being used.

Sausagedog27 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:08:39

Ah ok. If its being done under permitted development rights there are provisions in that for matching existing materials, but ths can be quite subjective (especially if councils can't be bothered to check after a complaint has been made). You could try contacting them again? Or failing that contact your local councillor?

CuthbertDibble Thu 04-Oct-12 14:47:50

Thanks for your help. Now got the Parish Council involved too, planners have promised to respond in full by the end of the week.

Sausagedog27 Thu 04-Oct-12 20:18:18

That's good- fingers crossed!

PigletJohn Thu 04-Oct-12 22:10:32

Did you go to the council's website and look at the planning permission application? Did you look at the conditions for approval? Did either of them specify materials?

In my recent one, a change which would otherwise have been PD needed PP because it was on a conservation area. The application and conditions both specified matching bricks, detailing and roof.

CuthbertDibble Fri 05-Oct-12 17:38:34

All it says on the planning application is 'to match existing'. What's been built so far doesn't.

Planning office has responded today:

'I understand that attempts were made to obtain an exact match for the original brick, but the builder has confirmed that the brick being used for the rear extension was as close a match as they were able to obtain. In this context, Jane Bloggs (name changed) was able to consider the materials being used and considers they comply with condition 2 as being as close a match as possible. The Enforcement Team have also investigated the complaint and have reached the same conclusion and closed their file.'

It's completely ridiculous, the bricks are a vaguely similar colour but nowhere near a decent match. It would seem there's one rule for some and a different rule for others.

We've asked the senior people to come out and have a look but they won't. Looks like we will just have to escalate this as far as we can.

PigletJohn Sat 06-Oct-12 00:29:12

the brick being used for the rear extension was as close a match as they were able to obtain

Is that untrue?

CuthbertDibble Sat 06-Oct-12 08:43:37

Put it this way, the builder obviously didn't try very hard.

The bricks being used are metric not imperial and they are a very uniform colour as opposed to the original building where the bricks have a more mottled effect.

I realise it sounds like I'm being a bit NIMBYish, but it's such a pretty house that it seems such a shame to be allowed to spoil it.

CuthbertDibble Sat 06-Oct-12 09:31:46

It's not just a rear extension they are building, it will come round the side of the house and the front of it too, it's only the rear that has been built so far.

PigletJohn Sat 06-Oct-12 10:39:28

well, if you can go to a brick merchant and find a brick that is a really good match, you will be able to have an evidence-based discussion.

At the moment it just seems to be based on assertions, though I would expect the local conservation officer to have a fair idea of the bricks used in your area.

It is possible to have bricks specially made, at vast expense, but although the size and texture may be a fair match, it is not possible to be sure about the colour, as it will be different after burning. I don't think you'll get anywhere with the metric/imperial problem as it always happens.

The bricks will also look different after they have weathered for a while.

CuthbertDibble Sat 06-Oct-12 10:50:17

Thanks, will talk to DH (builder) and see if he can find a better brick.

Sausagedog27 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:59:42

The brick thing is a silly argument- there are loads of companies that do decent bricks- Ibstock are pretty good and do a wide range. It sounds as if you are being fobbed off- try talking to the conservation officer and also your local member. You could also write to te manager of the person at the council you have been dealing with.

Stuff like this really frustrates me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now