Talk

Advanced search

How the hell do I cap a chimney?

(9 Posts)
CinnamonStix Wed 03-Oct-12 11:46:00

..And is it something that DH can do or should we call a roofer/builder/some kind of chimney man?

I'm WFH today and I can hear birds sitting at the top of the flue, completely paranoid that one is going to fall down..

Ponders Wed 03-Oct-12 12:56:24

I don't think it's really a DIY job - roofs are very high shock

we used to have 5 chimney pots (Victorian house) - we had builders in for various jobs & they took 4 of them down from the roof & capped off the holes (I think they put a curved thing on top to let some air in to ventilate the flue)

we still have one of the tall pots in the back yard with a planter in smile

CinnamonStix Thu 04-Oct-12 11:20:38

Ahh DH thinks he can do it - I want to call someone in, because as you say, roofs are very high..

How much does it cost for someone else to do it?

MousyMouse Thu 04-Oct-12 11:27:44

not a diy job.
our quote (having new chimney pots) says 100£ per chimney, which includes labour + materials + VAT

TheFiresideShop Fri 05-Oct-12 16:32:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MrsMiniversCharlady Fri 05-Oct-12 19:26:56

I finally got a roofer to cap my chimney after many, many calls trying to find somebody interested in doing a 'small' job.

Ponders Fri 05-Oct-12 21:46:44

I can't see a sweep doing it - they don't go up on the roof!

CinnamonStix Tue 09-Oct-12 09:29:00

I've called up two chimney sweep companies and one has quoted me £80, and the other £50 (with a sweep and smoke certificate included).. I've managed to convince DH that he shouldn't attempt it himself! Hurrah!

chrislong1972 Tue 08-Nov-16 16:26:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now