Talk

Advanced search

Offer Accepted - now what?

(9 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Wed 03-Oct-12 09:16:08

Woooo whoooooo our offer has been accepted!

Right i've got a soilicitor on board and our mortage is being finalised this week.

I know that I have to decide about whether to go for a full structural survey or the homebuyer survey - any recommendations for type of survey? It's a 4 bed detached house built in the early 80's. It's dated but seems to be structurally sound . i.e no damp, cracks etc but there are lots of mature trees in the back garden and front lawn.

Is there anything else that I am missing? I'm hoping that the estate agent and solicitoe would guide me through the process of buying the house. Am I being naive?!

Also, can I go and view the house again? Is this acceptable? I'd like to have the curtains made before moving in IYSWIM.

Sorry for all the qauestions but any advice or pointers that you can give me would be great. I'm practically a first time buyer and clueless about this house buying business!

Many thanks smile

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 03-Oct-12 09:16:59

Apologies for all the typing errors - I'm on my phone.

lalalonglegs Wed 03-Oct-12 10:24:44

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to view the house again (although it's usual to wait until the conveyancing is under way so it doesn't make it look as if you are having second thoughts). I can't advise about a survey as I think they are so full of caveats that they are becoming increasingly worthless.

If you have finances and solicitor in place then,for the first few weeks, let the process take its own course. You can start putting on pressure (calling/emailing) if you think they are dragging their heels. Have you got a date in mind for completion? Let the estate agent and solicitor know this.

lalalonglegs Wed 03-Oct-12 10:37:26

I forgot to say, it's a bit of a phony war until the survey (if you choose to have one) is done - something will be found, then you have to get busy sorting out quotes for repairs so you can renegotiate price etc.

If you want something to do, start sorting out your stuff and throwing away at least half grin.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 03-Oct-12 10:39:03

Thanks for your reply. Good tip about not viewing the house just yet - thanks!

I haven't got a completion date in mind - the sooner the better really. Ideally I want to be in there by Christmas. I think that this is realistic timeframe as the vendor and I are both chain free.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 03-Oct-12 10:40:30

LOL, that is one task that I am NOT looking forward to. I'm a secret hoarding queen blush

frostyfingers Wed 03-Oct-12 13:42:32

Don't get carried away just yet, there are many possible pitfalls between offer and exchange. There's obviously nothing wrong with being excited, but I wouldn't start doing curtains etc until you are certain about exchange.

Good luck, it's a rollercoaster ride!

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 04-Oct-12 08:56:07

I know but I've already planned where and how to layout my furniture!

This is our first family home EVER and I'm stupidly excited smile

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 04-Oct-12 09:23:34

I'd go for the cheapest valuation survey to go with the mortgage which will probably be vaguely around £400 if its not a massive house. Then if you want a more detailed structural report commission one yourself.

For my current house I got a full report, not on bank format form, for £300 I met the surveyor at the property when he finished the survey and he talked me through concerns before emailing me his report a day or two later. This ment that I had a list of issues that I could assess the cost of. If you pay the heafty extra for full structural by the bank it can, in my limited experience, add a thousand to the survey cost and slow the process with banks wanting more quotes and holding retainers for this and that.

If you are confident that the house is going to be structurally fine due to age etc then you can ask your solicitor to start the local searches before survey this gets things moving faster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now