Advanced search

does this door exist?

(15 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:06:48

I live in an 1880s terraced cottage and currently have a wooden door opening into my living room

it's freezing!!!

what I want t do is put a composite/upvc door in instead but I would want it to be black on the outside to keep in with the property, but white on the inside to fit in to my living room

does such a door exist?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 02-Oct-12 22:09:11

We have a UPVc door that is dark blue on the outside but white on the inside, one of the options we were offered was balck outside, white inside so, yes they do exist.

sausagesandwich34 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:23:45

can I ask where you got it from as numerous internet searches don't give the inside as being a different colour?

RonettePulaski Tue 02-Oct-12 22:38:01

Have you tried a thick curtain across and a draught excluder

1880s cottages and upvc don't sound like a marriage made in heaven

Jacaqueen Tue 02-Oct-12 22:38:37

Get a new hardwood door made. If it is properly fitted it should be just as good as UPVC at keeping out the draughts. It will look a whole lot better and last longer too.

BreeVanDerTramp Tue 02-Oct-12 22:40:42

I have an old cottage and recently had a hardwood door fitted, it's totally draught free and is a stable door style, I love it. It's from Hewdens.

sausagesandwich34 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:42:43

I've got a thick curtain across -the issue with that is I can't close the curtain behind me when I go out so if I've been out in the day (most days) or for an evening out, it's cold when I get home and takes ages to warm up

the door is only a few years old and was professionally fitted but the tiny gap round the outside, despite draught excluders makes it cold

I've even sellotaped my keyhole to stop the wind lol

the black textured composite doors do look very good, my neighbour has one but her's is black on both sides -she is happy with that but I wouldn't be

Jacaqueen Tue 02-Oct-12 22:49:51

You need a portiere rod style curtain pole.

sausagesandwich34 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:55:14

a what now?

Jacaqueen Tue 02-Oct-12 23:00:02

It is a special kind of curtain rail that allows you to open and close the door without pulling the curtain. I am on my phone so cant link. I got mine from Jim Lawrence.

Jacaqueen Tue 02-Oct-12 23:01:18

Eh how come that linked automatically?

Grockle Tue 02-Oct-12 23:03:47

My front door is exactly as you described so yes, it does exist.

sausagesandwich34 Tue 02-Oct-12 23:05:21

don't know lol

so they attach to the door rather than the frame?

I have a window approx 18inches high above the door so not sure if that would work?

I'd need 2 curtains I think?

CaurnieBred Tue 02-Oct-12 23:31:04

You need to look for Composite doors: try here

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 02-Oct-12 23:33:36

Can't help with where to get one as I live in a housing association house, sorry having looked at Caurnie's link though that is exactly like my front door.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: