Talk

Advanced search

Laying laminate flooring on the cheap

(9 Posts)
mangohedgehog Tue 02-Oct-12 14:06:28

I want new flooring for the living room / dining room. Am on maternity leave so I have a lot of time but not a lot of cash. Has anyone tried laying their own laminate flooring? How difficult was it?

(flooring snobs stay away please... smile )

CuddyMum Tue 02-Oct-12 14:14:04

Yes I have laid loads of the stuff! I like the large planks - people always ask if its oak! The trickiest rooms are loos and bathrooms.

mangohedgehog Tue 02-Oct-12 14:28:25

is it difficult cuddlymum? where do you buy yours from? am looking for a good deal if poss ;)

CuddyMum Tue 02-Oct-12 14:39:02

Downstairs oak laminate planks with bevel edge from B&Q and white planks were by Quick Step and I bought them from a flooring company on line. Have also laid black slate effect tiles in the bathroom and these were from B&Q. You need a jigsaw and laminate blades, a folding work bench type thing to clamp the laminate to when you are cutting and a decent saw to cut the architraves on your doors. You can have a look at my floors here www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38577881.html/nomsite?premiumA=true

mangohedgehog Tue 02-Oct-12 15:19:47

looks lovely! envy Think I might give it a go...

Spirael Tue 02-Oct-12 15:25:19

We laid laminate in our lounge recently, first time we'd ever attempted to lay a floor. It wasn't too difficult, it seemed slow to start but we sped up a lot once we got into the swing of it. Most awkward part was toddler wrangling at the same time!

Highly recommend a Laminate Cutter as it's much quicker, easier and less dusty to cut the boards to length this way. Though you'll still need a jigsaw for some sections.

We got our laminate from Ikea, mostly because it was the cheapest Antique Pine effect I could find to match with our unfortunately Antique Pine lounge-! Curse the previous residents and their love for the stuff...

Seems to be reasonable quality, but personally I prefer the tile effect we got from Wickes that's was put in when we did our kitchen. Has more of a texture so isn't as slippy!

You'll want a wooden mallet, a flooring kit and underlay as well. The type of underlay will vary depending on the floor you're laying it on - for example concrete needs to have a waterproof layer.

HTHs! smile

CuddyMum Tue 02-Oct-12 16:39:11

And unless you are built like Geoff Capes get your other half to lift the packs of laminate into the house near to the room you are working on. I was so determined to finish the loft rooms that I lifted all of the packs from the garage and went up and down two flights of stairs to get them up there and now have an umbilical hernia! You do get a great sense of achievement when it's finished.

CuddyMum Tue 02-Oct-12 16:42:56

Ooh hello Spirael!! Note to self to get a laminate cutter if I ever get a new home. It's proper dusty when you use a jigsaw.

Spirael Tue 02-Oct-12 16:51:12

[waves to CuddyMum] smile

I second not carrying the packs of laminate yourself! I acquired them from Ikea, loaded the car and then brought them into the house myself and regretted it. Though my arms are looking much more toned, beneath the DIY bruises...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now