Talk

Advanced search

Who'd make a bespoke pine console table? Cabinet maker or carpenter? Or other?

(9 Posts)
LittenTree Mon 01-Oct-12 20:00:57

Reposted from Chat- no one was interested sad...

I want a (cheap!) long, narrow 'console' style table, but I think it'd have to be made for the space available (2m long, 65cm wide, desk height). It's for the DSs to use as a laptop/s desk to do their HW. As it's in the dining room, I'd like it to be 'nice enough' and plain (and match the plain dining table) so I could dress it up a bit on an occasion so the whole house doesn't resemble a study...

So, who do I look for? Not maybe an actual furniture maker as I doubt I'd see any change out of £500 and my budget is about £200.

Do 'carpenters' do the wood framing for houses only? That sort of construction thing? But I thought 'cabinet makers' is an old fashioned word for 'ready-made kitchen fitters'!

Who should I be looking up locally?

cluelessnchaos Mon 01-Oct-12 20:04:50

Cabinet makers make furniture, but likely to be pricey. I think there are some companies that make any size furniture from an off the peg design.

PigletJohn Tue 02-Oct-12 00:48:54

if you want cheap, and solid pine (a top like floorboards) with a planed finish that you can wax, and M&T joints in the frame, a joiner is your man.

Doors and windowframes are joinery, roofing timbers and joists are carpentry. Carpentry is rougher and not intended for looking at.

Dovetails and veneers are cabinetmaking.

PigletJohn Tue 02-Oct-12 00:50:12

p.s.

you are describing a coffin table.

LittenTree Tue 02-Oct-12 10:09:51

Thanks, that's all helpful knowledge!

Coffin table! Who would've known?!

iheartdusty Tue 02-Oct-12 10:17:38

What about a length of kitchen worktop? we have a made-to-measure desk formed out of timber worktop, supported on brackets so no legs. There's a huge range of colours and finishes, including bevelled edges. Or you could consider some Ikea style legs with a ready made top like that?

Erebus Tue 02-Oct-12 10:42:43

Actually, funny you should say that as I have been considering that myself! We came up with this as a potential top, once we'd had to consider moving away from the idea of pine (treated to look like pale birch!).

All ideas still on the table, as it were!

dainiux Thu 06-Mar-14 09:30:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LastOneDancing Thu 06-Mar-14 09:36:26

Where are you Litten?

If you're anywhere near Birmingham/Walsall I have had a lot of furniture from here including a few of bespoke pieces - he's very reasonable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now