Talk

Advanced search

Light, soft, warm blue paint for boy's bedroom?

(17 Posts)
mavornia Sun 30-Sep-12 23:28:59

Could anyone recommend a lovely blue paint for my son's bedroom?

I'm thinking of doing the rest of the house in off-white/pale grey shades (like slipper satin by Farrow & Ball which was recommended to me on here) but I wanted something warmer for my son.

I liked the look of F& B Borrowed Light but there's no way I'm putting it in the children's rooms - their feet are always all over the walls and it would be scuffed in no time.

Blues can be tricky to get right. I don't want it to look cold or too grey. A nice soft sky blue is what I'm after.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

PeazlyPops Sun 30-Sep-12 23:32:25

We have dulux mineral mist is DS's bedroom, it's a warm, soft blue.

mavornia Sun 30-Sep-12 23:35:35

oh that's lovely, i'll get a tester - just needed somewhere to start!

colditz Sun 30-Sep-12 23:36:34

Duck egg blue is warm.

mavornia Sun 30-Sep-12 23:41:14

any particular brand you like, Colditz? Sometimes it can have a real greeny hue althought the tin says "duck egg"

ArbitraryUsername Mon 01-Oct-12 08:06:17

We've got mineral mist in DS2's room too. It's lovely.

mavornia Mon 01-Oct-12 08:44:49

can i ask if you went for matt, flat matt, endurance matt or silk?!

it would cost a fortune in testers if i tried all the different finishes as well as colours

liking the mineral mist a lot

ArbitraryUsername Mon 01-Oct-12 08:52:28

I went with trade diamond matt.

amazonianwoman Mon 01-Oct-12 10:25:58

I've had Borrowed Light mixed by Johnstone's trade for DS's room for the same reasons. In vinyl matt. Now I just need to get round to painting his room! It is exactly the kind of blue you describe.

I've had other F&B colours mixed by Johnstone's in the past and I really like their paint, very easy to work with and the colours are close enough for me. It's much nicer to use than Dulux/Crown etc.

PeazlyPops Mon 01-Oct-12 10:26:30

We just went with matt, although wish we'd gone for endurance matt, as a little bit wiped off whrn I tried to wipe a mark off!

Luckily I saved a tester pot so could touch it up.

ElsieMc Mon 01-Oct-12 12:45:25

We used B & Q's own mid-blue which is quite a strong, warm blue which looks great against white skirtings and woodwork. It is matt and stated it could also be used on woodwork. We were going to paint built in wardrobe doors and apply new handles in GS's bedroom. We were sceptical of own brand, but it did what it said on the tin and the walls and paintwork look great. It was on offer and a large tin cost under £20 which did the whole room. I'm sorry I can't remember the name now but you could have a look.

I used mineral mist at my mum's and this is quite a lot lighter, cooler shade. You are right, you do have to be careful with blue. If your room is light, then I recommend the B and Q one.

SwedishEdith Mon 01-Oct-12 12:54:40

Same as amazonianwoman <Hello btw grin>, had Borrowed Light mixed by Johnstones for a bathroom in a vinyl matt. It's lovely, not cold at all. Room is NE facing, I think.

MidnightinMoscow Mon 01-Oct-12 13:42:08

I am going to do the same as amazonianwoman and swedishEdith, as Borrowed light really is a lovely shade of blue.

Lexilicious Mon 01-Oct-12 13:45:13

I've just had DS's room done in Thunderous Sky endurance matt. I think it is great - strong but not dark. White ceiling and woodwork. South facing window. His high sleeper bed, currently pine and in bits in the shed while he sleeps on a mattress on the floor and gets used to going to the loo at night, is going to be repainted in slate grey.

amazonianwoman Mon 01-Oct-12 14:10:50

<waves to Swedish, still haven't sorted my new kitchen yet> grin

mavornia Tue 02-Oct-12 09:51:43

many thanks - going to get tester pots of your suggestions

I'll check if we have Johnstones in Northern Ireland

SwedishEdith Tue 02-Oct-12 18:37:22

<still not finished decorating ours either amazonian grin>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now