Talk

Advanced search

What should we put in a small downstairs extension?

(17 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 17:37:21

We live in a 3 bed house, plus loft room, and have three young children. Currently two share, as the third proper bedroom is tiny - exactly the length of a single bed and not much wider. We are thinking of extending to the side, making this room L shaped, to use as a playroom now and a proper bedroom in the future.

The question is, what to put below it? It would be along the side of our (not very wide) hall, and we are thinking of a utility room accessed through an archway in the hall, with a downstairs toilet, neither of which we currently have. DP made the very good suggestion to ask mumsnet for advice. So, what would you recommend? The extension could be up to 4" wide, and 9" long (approx).

EdMcDunnough Sun 30-Sep-12 17:42:33

Yes that sounds perfect. I don't know how we would cope without two toilets and we only have a flat!

EdMcDunnough Sun 30-Sep-12 17:43:38

I might put a door on the room though instead of just an arch. That way you won't hear the washing machine spinning in the middle of your dinner/favourite programme etc. and it will be tidier.

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 17:53:32

Hmm, good point. The aim of the archway was to avoid losing dead space to allow the door to swing, but that positive might be outweighed by the noise! Also, we are hoping to put a rail to hang shirts etc that dry better on a hanger, but worried about moisture in the house (we have condensation every winter). A door would help with that too.

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 17:54:50

Also, we hope to hang coats in their and have a shoe rack, which is easier to access with an arch...

LCarbury Sun 30-Sep-12 18:10:52

I like the look of these doors: www.disappearingdoors.co.uk/gallery.asp?RID=10

MamaChocoholic Sun 30-Sep-12 18:17:59

They look great, thanks!

Mandy21 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:10:37

We're planning something similar as part of a larger extension - we're going out about 5'6" at the side, planning on a store / garage at the front (we currently have a garage in the back garden but want to demolish this, and will need somewhere for bikes etc), then a utility room behind it. We already have a downstairs toilet (under the stairs) and we're going to make this slightly wider. I would definitely have a door on your utility room even if the door has to open inwards into the hall. Have a window in there so the damp air escapes out of the house instead of coming in.

wendybird77 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:20:12

I was going to suggest a pocket door or sliding door as well, but I've been beaten to it!

ThisisaSignofthetimes Mon 01-Oct-12 18:30:55

definately a utility with a loo, if you have children and for future selling it will be a very useful feature.

FishfingersAreOK Mon 01-Oct-12 20:01:30

If you are planning to dry clothes in there then you could consider a Sheila's made (hang from the ceiling airer) But you will need to have the door shut and an extractor fan so that you do not get condensation/damp either in there or any part of the house (PigletJohn would be soooo proud of me)

MamaChocoholic Mon 01-Oct-12 21:05:21

Ok, so a window or, better, an extractor fan. Do people find a big sink useful? Am imagining football boots in years to come, but don't have a lit of space to play with, and don't want to put in a sink when storage would be more useful.

LCarbury Mon 01-Oct-12 22:33:52

I don't have a big sink and never feel the lack (helpful emoticon)

Pannacotta Mon 01-Oct-12 22:49:44

A big sink is great for washing football boots, wellies, filling vases, emptying out mop buckets etc, so I woudl try and fit one in.
You could have very tall/slim storage, look at the shallow IKEA PAX wardrobes.

I woudl try and make some space for coats/shoes too if possible if you dont have this already. With three DCs you will need it as they get older.

LCarbury Mon 01-Oct-12 23:00:44

Just realised I wash those things under the outside tap (fill vases indoors in the normal sink). If I didn't have a tap outside I would definitely need a big sink!

SwedishEdith Mon 01-Oct-12 23:06:20

I know you've said the extension would be 4' x 9' but do you know what the internal dimensions would be(allowing for wall thickness etc)? My utility room is approx 9' x 4' internally and I woudl struggle to get a large sink, toilet, lots of storage and a washing machine and/or dryer in there. Just to give you some perspective. The boiler is in mine though so wall space restricted. I'd make a plan on some paper, if I were you, to what you could actually fit in there.

Bearcat Tue 02-Oct-12 13:05:08

We had a small space like this built on the side of our house when we also extended out at the back of the house about 12 years ago.
We had an opening cut in what was the outside wall of the house, but didn't do it as an archway.
We had a downstairs shower room built with a velux roof light and to the front we made a study area for the PC. There was also a coat rack and a shoe rack.
In the last year we have got rid of the study area because we now just use a lap top. But now in this area we have a wine / beer fridge, the printer on top of that and we have moved the coat and shoe rack so that you can't see the mess them as you come in through the front door.
It was never a wide space, just as wide as the path was down the side of our house, but has been really useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now