Talk

Advanced search

Selling half-finished house? Help!!!

(10 Posts)
Newlysingleandstuck Sun 30-Sep-12 13:08:17

Need to sell our house due to divorce. The divorce is straight forward, so can file everything myself (have done family law, but am not a practising lawyer). However, stbx has refused to do anything to the house AT ALL since we move in 3 years ago, despite his insistence that we buy a dilapidated one, so I have had to do everything, and have mainly done a good job.

However, there is still a fair bit to do-the utility room plastering is shoddy (not my strong suit!), and in order to put some of the utility room units in the right place I need to get the old oven taken out, buy a new oven, buy a hob to cover the hole where it is meant to go over the kitchen drawers, and fix two skirting boards which are proving impossible! I also need to clear up the garden.

I have totally run out of money-I am struggling to feed us at the moment. Even the thought of doing this is driving me to distraction, but cannot have stbx round to help as he turns it into a "you are the most dreadful person on earth" fest.

We also have two house rabbits. How on earth do I make the house smell pet-less? It is all too much!!! It needs to sell soon as I cannot move out otherwise, but my mental health is really suffering the longer we stay here, and I can't keep on top of the cleaning on my own as I am often working until gone midnight.

RandomMess Sun 30-Sep-12 13:10:34

Is there anyone who would look after the rabbits for you until you sell? Beg/borrow/steal an outdoor hutch for them?

Iggly Sun 30-Sep-12 13:14:49

Get someone to take the rabbits.

Open all windows every day, get some carpet deodoriser and clean them.

I'm confused about utility room - can you explain again?!TBH I'd leave it alone.

Garden, just use the lawn mower. It's getting colder so weeds etc will die down.

Any friends or family who can help?

Newlysingleandstuck Sun 30-Sep-12 13:22:02

We used to have a very small kitchen (it fitted a sink and cooker) and a huge dining room, so I've converted the dining room into a kitchen diner, and made the kitchen a utility room. I had to re-plaster it after ripping all the hideous tiles off, and it is horribly uneven, but it was all I could afford to do at the time. It has a washing machine, dryer and the old oven hiding the majority of it though.

There is a huge oven-housing that matches the rest of the kitchen that is supposed to go in the utility room, but at the moment it is just floating in the kitchen diner looking like a menace! I might just take it to the tip, but it would look nice installed with an oven in it, but can't do that unless i get rid of the old oven. There is also a huge gap above the cutlery drawer where a hob is supposed to go, but again, I can't afford one or to get on installed.

Thank goodness re the garden, it was a worry!

I'm so desperate to just get out of here, I'll be so glad to go!!! Have asked friends and family if they could re-home the rabbits for me, as finding rented that will take them is going to be yet another stress I can't handle!

You are helping me see the light at the end of the tunnel, thank you!

MissRee Sun 30-Sep-12 13:27:00

Hide as much of the dodgy stuff as you can with appliances, photo frames maybe and just generally use distraction technique. I'm not sure anyone really looks properly when they view a house at least I don't and won't notice many of the small things at a glance!

During the break up with ex, I piled boxes to the ceiling in the back bedroom to cover the hole/watermarks on the ceiling where the roof had been leaking blush. Not my proudest moment but I was desperate at the time sad

Newlysingleandstuck Sun 30-Sep-12 13:46:55

Thankfully I got rid of all the leaks etc while I was doing ours up (Also didn't look closely when buying blush). Once the pets are out of the way it should look pretty good (thankfully wood flooring where they are, so one deep clean and all should be ok). Have managed to re-home them this morning, so that is great.

Didn't anyone else find the process very scary/daunting? I feel very wussy!!

Iggly Sun 30-Sep-12 13:57:14

Just take it to the tip! Be done with it - it won't make much difference in the overall price you sell for.

MmeLindor Sun 30-Sep-12 14:19:04

Get rid of everything that you can't take, or is making the house look untidy - tip or freecycle if it is still usable.

Can you drop your price in order to get a quick sale? Or will you lose too much on it?

frostyfingers Sun 30-Sep-12 18:22:29

As long as it's clean, reasonably tidy and not full of rubbish then most people won't object. Unfinished, it will not get you as much as finished, but then at least it will be gone - and some people (me), would much rather having something to work on, rather than pay full whack for perfection.

Good luck.

tricot39 Sun 30-Sep-12 20:51:02

If you have a slightly strange layout that you would change if you had the money then could you sketch up the plans to show how it could be and sell the potential?

That and the distractions mentioned above will help. Also being flexible on price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now