Talk

Advanced search

What are skirting boards for?

(21 Posts)
CitizenOscar Fri 28-Sep-12 19:24:23

And do I need them in my new bathroom?

I'd never really thought about it before but now I'm all confused. We're renovating out bathroom and they've all been ripped out & the walls are about to be replastered.

Do I need to replace them? If so, we were thinking about making a narrow skirting using strips of the floor tiles. Would that work?

Imlostwithoutahope Fri 28-Sep-12 19:26:20

I think in a bathroom the floor tiles on the wall as a skirting always look cleaner and nicer than wooden ones.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 28-Sep-12 19:26:48

to stop your walls fraying at the edges grin

i would replace - its not expensive. we have no skirting in the bathroom but when we redo it we will have - it just looks more finished.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 28-Sep-12 19:29:17

They are to bridge the join between wall and floor, for aesthetic and insulating purposes. You can do without them if you choose that look, lots of Europe does.
Your idea sounds fine but consider what the top edge will look like, and if it's horizontal it will get dusty.

justabigdisco Fri 28-Sep-12 19:30:02

In my house, they are to stop slugs slithering in.

TuftyFinch Fri 28-Sep-12 19:30:40

They are to stop people skirting. Of course.

maillotjaune Fri 28-Sep-12 19:32:52

They are for boys to ram cars into, repeatedly, because wood dents and gloss paint scuffs in a more satisfying way that a wall.

CitizenOscar Fri 28-Sep-12 19:41:42

Thanks guys. I definitely don't want any skirting going on in my bathroom so better replace them wink

TirednessKills Fri 28-Sep-12 19:56:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nocake Fri 28-Sep-12 21:17:53

It's almost impossible to get a neat edge between plaster on a wall and a wooden floor so skirting boards cover the rough edge. They also stop you damaging the bottom of the plaster with the vacuum cleaner.

lapsedorienteerer Fri 28-Sep-12 21:21:51

Most houses in continental europe don't have skirting board as we know it, just a small strip of beading/coving/edging type stuff (hope that makes sense).

lapsedorienteerer Fri 28-Sep-12 21:22:59

......Here.

NomNomingiaDePlum Fri 28-Sep-12 21:28:38

well, i've always wondered, but recent investigations under the kitchen units suggest that it's to stop arsing fucking mice from being able to get in under the arsing fucking plasterboard.

CitizenOscar Fri 28-Sep-12 21:32:04

Thanks. I've sketched out what I want & will show the builder on Monday. So far he's been a bit hmm about some of our choices.

Wish I'd found this bit of MN earlier. Might have prevented some of my many breakdowns in assorted bathroom/tile shops. I'm not a fan of home improvements but our leaky 15yrold bathroom had to go, so here we are.

QueenMaeve Sat 29-Sep-12 00:27:11

I have bathrooms and kitchen all done with a tile strip same as the floor tile, it's a great job

1605 Sat 29-Sep-12 09:31:41

Very changeable British weather makes our buildings prone to settlement - cracks and gaps that aren't subsidence, basically - and so straight edges are rare. Skirting boards and cornice coving (where the ceiling meets the walls) were to cover up the gaps where a neat edge was impossible to achieve.

New technology means these decorative cover-ups are no longer necessary, but I still love a deep cornice or a high skirting board, the more elaborate the better.

If you're doing a period look in the kitchen or bathroom, keep the skirting board in its original proportions. If you're going modern, don't. For a contemporary take on tradition, use contrast tile as a skirting board substitute.

mick84 Fri 07-Aug-15 00:05:41

The original reason for skirting was to protect the bottom of the wall from damage from Victorian women's dresses. I'm not sad, I'm a joiner and had to learn that as part of my studies lol

Gusthetheatrecat Fri 07-Aug-15 19:26:35

Does anyone have a picture of a wall without skirting, with a strip of tiling instead? {nosey} I can't quite picture it! Thank you.

Marmitelover55 Fri 07-Aug-15 19:49:19

We have 9 inch Victorian skirting and I live it!

VulcanWoman Fri 07-Aug-15 20:31:48

I haven't got the strip of tiling but I think it's a neat job in my bathroom.

blueteapot Fri 07-Aug-15 23:55:23

We have the tiling strip, our tiler suggested it and its brill, looks great and easy to keep. Light tiles though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now