Talk

Advanced search

Oddest things the vendors took with them?

(36 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Thu 27-Sep-12 19:47:11

Just moved into a new house, and found that the vendors took the wheelie bin with them. Now I thought that was rather odd, till I discovered that they also took the pond. I kid you not. When we viewed the house, it had a lovely little fish pond in the garden with goldfish and established plants in. Dd was very taken by it. Well, all that remains is a hole in the ground. Fish, frogs, plants, plastic liner all gone. shock

Anyone else like to share odd things their vendors have taken with them?

paulapantsdown Thu 27-Sep-12 19:51:17

I bought a house from a man who wanted me to pay extra for the stairs carpet for some reason! I said no. Move in day - stair carpet ripped out. The whole place stank of cats piss and fags so it did me a favour really - one less thing to clean!

CuddyMum Thu 27-Sep-12 19:53:39

Integrated fridge freezer! He was a total dick so I wasn't surprised.

Tanyaaah Thu 27-Sep-12 19:54:27

All the light bulbs. Very annoying!

Viviennemary Thu 27-Sep-12 20:24:57

I don't think they are allowed to take plants. I knew somebody who bought a house and the vendor took loads and loads of plants from the garden. And they contacted the solicitor and got I think around £300 back. It was quite a few years ago. And I didn't think they could take integrated appliances. But they can take carpets.

smalltown Thu 27-Sep-12 20:27:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SauvignonBlanche Thu 27-Sep-12 20:28:04

Light fittings, they left just bare wires.

lisaro Thu 27-Sep-12 20:45:17

My parents took a doorframe when they downsized. The buyers were widening some doors for their sons wheelchair before moving in and offered it as it had our size notches on it. smile

QOD Thu 27-Sep-12 20:50:41

All light bulbs and fittings, yet left shit wrecked crappy broken furniture

We made the estate agents pay for a giant skip - they fell for the vendors bullshit and sent a house clearance firm round first who were very offended, broken sideboard with one door, armchair with 3 legs, rusty dishwasher that had been left in the garden ...

SuePurblybilt Thu 27-Sep-12 20:54:20

The glass shower screen. Helpful hmm

That's lovely, lisaro.

Maryz Thu 27-Sep-12 20:57:24

Our vendors took everything.

All bathroom fixtures (mirrors, lights, toothbrush holder etc), bedroom curtains and poles, security lights, garden plants and trees (not just the pots, they left massive holes in the flower beds and dug up lots of bulbs).

But the worst thing was the mantlepiece. I kid you not [mutter]

OnlyWantsOne Thu 27-Sep-12 21:00:19

Oh this worries me. We complete tomorrow !!! Fingers firmly crossed the house is actually still there ;)

hermioneweasley Thu 27-Sep-12 21:02:24

How can it be worth someone's time to dig up bulbs?! Some people...

Purplemonster Thu 27-Sep-12 21:07:27

Yep, light bulbs and all light fittings removed in one of the houses I moved into and it was getting dark by the time we got the keys!

EdgarAllanPond Thu 27-Sep-12 21:08:02

i think on home selling questionnaire, it asks if you are going to leave plants..

i might bring a few of the plant pots with us. and split off a couple of small plants but leave the main ones in place, otherwise its just not cricket..

the previous occupants left their tupperware boxes, and collected them the wek after..

they left a broken pressure washer and circular saw...

SuePurblybilt Thu 27-Sep-12 21:09:49

Pots are fine, as are some of the bits from the garden. A pond is a bit off grin

LynetteScavo Thu 27-Sep-12 21:10:25

Light bulbs, curtain rails, toilet roll holders. It was a newbuild, and they had only lived there 9 months, so I know there was nothing special about the toilet roll holders.

But they left a cupboard full of kitchen gadgets, which I did eventually drop off to them, when I got round to it several weeks later. Serves them bloody right.

FatherReboolaConundrum Thu 27-Sep-12 21:13:58

The hooks on the back of the bathroom and wet room doors. Considering that we'd agreed to them taking a ton of fixtures and fittings with them, they could have left us somewhere to hang our clothes, the bastards. But no. On the other hand they left five sacks of unbelievably heavy garden waste sitting in the middle of the garden, so maybe they thought that made up for the hooks.

pictish Thu 27-Sep-12 21:14:45

Everything! Including all light bulbs and the stair bannisters!

SuePurblybilt Thu 27-Sep-12 21:15:33

Oh yes, I forgot the hooks. And the doors are those crappy non-solid ones IYSWIM so I have great big non-fillable holes-where-hooks-once-were.

Humph

ATourchOfInsanity Thu 27-Sep-12 21:15:52

I used to work for a Conveyancer and we had an old lady who sold her house. She found out that they were gay a few days before completion, and, not being able to break the sale, decided to go to town...

She literally cut off the ceiling wires above the bulb casement, in EVERY room.

Unscrewed all of the hinges from ALL of the doors and took them, leaving the door propped up against a wall.

Finally she cut the wires to all plugs on electrical goods included in the sale, so they had no fridge/freezer/washing machine.

It was very bizarre. Unfortunately she did have to pay to repair all of these. She had had it explained to her that they couldn't be damaged before finding out their sexual orientation, but apparently just saw red!

Crazy old lady, sans cats.

2madboys Thu 27-Sep-12 21:18:02

They took the doorbell!

fuckadoodlepoopoo Thu 27-Sep-12 21:18:13

My old neighbours moved out and left the massive shed absolutely packed with crap, old road signs etc. The new owners made them come round and clear it out.

blueberryboybait Thu 27-Sep-12 21:19:38

The shower heads! Left just he part of the power shower that is attached to the wall, they took the plugs as well. They cut all the internal telephone wires too - cost us £398 for BT to come around the replace 15inches of phone cable.

pictish Thu 27-Sep-12 21:21:44

Yes - our vendor took everything except a shed packed full of their clarty old rubbish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now