Talk

Advanced search

shower problem

(14 Posts)
careergirl Thu 27-Sep-12 18:24:39

four years ago bathroom was refitted and a double shower unit fitted rather than a bath. Four years on shower isn't looking that great - chrome unit tarnished badly but more seriously it is becoming apparent it hasn't been fitted well. The shower tray is flexing and bending much more than it should so the seal cannot hold and water is getting under the shower and damaging the new flooring which was put in and coming through downstairs. The next thing to is take out the unit and replace to get to the bottom of it but tbh I am considering having it taken out and a bath put back in rather than a shower.
all other work is done it would literally be shower out bath in associated tiling
anyone have an idea of what this might cost? top figure in my head is £2k how realistic is this? Is it an over estimate?

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:01:51

probably depends on how much tiling you need done and the cost of the tiles - the rest will not cost too much - the danger is that the leaking water has caused other damage that needs repaired. If not then I think for average priced tiles it should be less than 2k

careergirl Thu 27-Sep-12 19:17:19

there is no tiling there at the moment it is wetwall so yes that will need to be replaced.
Flooring under the shower am fully expecting remedial works will be needed
the kitchen ceiling has been damaged by the leaks but it is still up so will worry about that later...

OliviaPeaceAndLoveMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 19:42:30

could be that the tiled wall did not have waterproof plaster behind (this has just happened to me)
Hope you get it sorted. Tis annoying I know.

careergirl Thu 27-Sep-12 21:40:59

and that is entirely possible (the plaster I mean) ah well looks like the whole thing will have to come out so will stick to the plan and put a bath back in

careergirl Sat 29-Sep-12 14:26:54

sadly not good news. Two independent builders tell me the shower is flexing because the floorboards are moving more than they should be. Think leak has been ongoing unnoticed. Cracks in kitchen ceiling and damp marks possible joists involved. Claim now with insurance company.

amck5700 Sat 29-Sep-12 14:32:35

Oh dear sad

careergirl Sat 29-Sep-12 14:44:05

mmm. I think I should be stressed at this point but trying hard not to be.

amck5700 Sat 29-Sep-12 14:56:22

Actually, maybe it's for the best, ok, it's an insurance claim and maybe you have an excess, but on the bright side, it will all be fixed properly, including your ceiling which you would have had to do later - you get to pick a decent replacement for your bathroom - the work will be covered by your insurance and you don't have to deal with potentially dodgy workmen.....and it may end up costing you less in the short term leaving you awee bit to get some nice accessories smile

careergirl Sat 29-Sep-12 15:06:29

that's the thought keeping me sane I think! The excess is £150 and no claims bonus will be affected but the alternative is the bathroom may well end up in the kitchen...so no alternative!

amck5700 Sat 29-Sep-12 15:20:52

Well, you well expecting to pay 2k so that'll take years to be used up in the increase in your premiums and just imagine yourself in your beautiful new bathroom smile

We had our bathroom, en-suit shower room and downstairs loo all replaced last January and whilst it was a lot of upset for a few weeks, I love it now it's all done - takes a quarter of the time to clean and I feel so much less stressed now that they are done and we can have have guests to stay and not feel embarrassed by the state of them!

This is my bathroom when it was finished :

Your link

i39.tinypic.com/zmgmd0.jpg[

amck5700 Sat 29-Sep-12 15:21:45

i39.tinypic.com/zmgmd0.jpg

careergirl Sat 29-Sep-12 16:28:43

Lovely job I would be thrilled with that.

amck5700 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:54:46

Yes, we are. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now