Talk

Advanced search

F&B experts - what colour for my kitchen units?

(15 Posts)
mumblechum1 Thu 27-Sep-12 09:39:43

I have Pale Hound on the walls, and an F&B cream on the cupboards but can't remember the name.

I have a large dresser which is currently bright white gloss (it came like that!) which I'd like to paint to match the units.

It's a decent size, 24 feet by 17ft but slightly L shaped, North facing, but with a big window and a glazed back door.

Floor is beigey stone tiles.

Cooker big range cooker in red and gold, tiled splashback in navy, worktops are granite in Kashmir Gold which is a kind of honey colour.

I think I just want a more white shade of cream on the units but not sure.

any ideas?

TIA

mumblechum1 Thu 27-Sep-12 10:57:10

bump?

1605 Thu 27-Sep-12 10:59:51

Hard to say without seeing it on the flesh, so to speak.

TBH you'd be better off going for a contrasting or tonal colour than attempting to match it to the creams and golds you already have.

EssieW Thu 27-Sep-12 11:07:07

White tie. Is a creamy white. We have it on ours with beige floor. Sounds like it would go.

mumblechum1 Thu 27-Sep-12 11:46:34

Thanks both. Just to clarify,l'm repainting the units and the dresser.

LittleFrieda Thu 27-Sep-12 12:28:58

DOes the light from your windows come from the north or the south, as this will make a big difference as to what will look best.

Pale Hound is quite citrus, so I would be careful.

A photo of the room and its orientation would be helpful.

LittleFrieda Thu 27-Sep-12 12:31:09

My worktops are kashmir gold and my kitchen is north facing. I have House White units, White Tie walls (with Pointing paintwork) and my freestandng cupboards are French Gray.

I've just uploaded a picture to my profile.

minipie Thu 27-Sep-12 12:31:45

Controversial perhaps but I wouldn't use F&B for the units as they don't do an oil based eggshell. They only do water based which is less durable. In theory you could get a colour match in oil based eggshell but we tried that and it looked v different.

Have a look at Paint & Paper Library, Sanderson and Little Greene Company (they all do oil based eggshell). Our units are painted in Slate II by Paint & Paper Library and I love it, it's a very pale stone/off white colour. Paint & Paper Library are really excellent for off whites and neutral colours - all their colours come in 5 levels of darkness so you can see what the underlying tones are even if you want a paler shade.

Mandy21 Thu 27-Sep-12 13:16:09

Agree with Minipie - we did our kitchen cupboards in French Gray only about 18 months ago maybe even less - followed all the advice about undercoating, sanding, waiting the right time between coats and we regularly have to touch up the paint where it gets knocked and chips (probably done it 3 or 4 times already). I love the colour but I wouldn't use F&B on kitchen cupboards again.

LittleFrieda Thu 27-Sep-12 13:58:47

I have F&B paint on my cupboards (waterbased eggshell) and it's lasting really well. I think the decorator built up the layers, sanding carefully between each layer.

amazonianwoman Thu 27-Sep-12 20:10:00

I got F&B Light Blue copied by Johnstones in oil based eggshell for the tongue & groove and a built in cupboard in the bathroom. It was painted almost 7 years ago blush and hasn't chipped at all. It's the main bathroom the kids use so has taken a fair beating over the years.

I used he leftover paint to do the dog's bed and that's still immaculate too smile

I don't know how close the colour match is to the original but I love it.

Flossiechops Thu 27-Sep-12 20:57:42

I did mine in f&b cornforth white. Rather controversially I did it in estate emulsion because I'd heard about the eggshell chipping. Lightly sanded then a couple of thin coats of primer, then a couple of thin coats of the emulsion (all coats left to dry thoroughly) The magic part then I used polyvine dead flat Matt varnish to seal it. The units have been in place for 18 months and they haven't got a chip on them and are fully wipe able. The colour is gorgeous, a lovely creamy grey smile

amazonianwoman Tue 02-Oct-12 22:13:52

Flossie was one coat of the matt varnish sufficient? I'm going to paint a cupboard and already have more than enough emulsion, so would only need to buy the varnish smile

Flossiechops Wed 03-Oct-12 07:11:42

I did a couple of very thin coats as one wasn't enough. I have to say that even though its dead flat Matt it did still leave a very slight sheen. I think no worse than an eggshell though smile

noddyholder Wed 03-Oct-12 07:22:16

Little Greene is a lot better for kitchen units and shelves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now