Small bathroom issues

(23 Posts)
Bumblequeen Thu 27-Sep-12 08:41:03

We have a small bathroom and it is such a pain. Dh and I can stand in it together but it is tight.

We cannot fix the door to open outwards as door is too close to top of staircase.

Ideally the sink should be beside the toilet.

Any advice?.

BlueberryHill Thu 27-Sep-12 08:59:34

Depends how much you want to spend, could you take a bit of space from the room next to it? Fit a sliding door?

Shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to move sink around but it depends on space and plumbing.

FriedSprout Thu 27-Sep-12 09:05:10

We re-hung our door to open inwards against the wall which helped.

Then saved up loads.

Got bath put against a different wall, space for this made by re-boxing and re-sizing down pipe. Got a basin inset into a cupboard to provide storage and moved it to different wall. Never thought we could fit three of us into what I though was a tiny bathroom.

What really helped though was a fantastic plumber who came up with solutions.

goldygumdrops Thu 27-Sep-12 09:06:21

We used to live in a flat that had the tiniest bathroom but the previous owners had designed it so well it was better than the bigger bathroom we have now in our house. It had tons of storage (i mean loads). I think the key therefore would be to go and see a bathroom designer and see what that can recommend for you. As soon as we have enough pennies that is what we will do for this house!

FriedSprout Thu 27-Sep-12 09:29:16

Have put few before and after pictures on my profile, if it is any help - good luck

fuckadoodlepoopoo Thu 27-Sep-12 09:40:44

I have the same issue. We have a folding door but not sure we will keep it. Can probably have a normal one if we move the sink. Planning on getting a small sink to squeeze it all in.

Does anyone know if there is a rule that the sink should go between the loo and bath? You never see bath, loo, sink if all against one wall.

Problem is that if we put the sink between them the sink will be under the window so no room for a mirror.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 27-Sep-12 14:00:21

Loo. Boys. Wee. Loo. Bath. Loo. Bath. Wee.

Voila. We thought about loo next to bath. Thought of DS (4yo). Sink going next to bath.

Bumblequeen Thu 27-Sep-12 14:23:09

Thanks for your advice.

Friedsprout- looked at your photo. Our bathroom is even smaller than that! The door opens to the width of the bath rather than the length and our sink is where your toilet is.

If you do not mind me asking - how much did you pay?

ArbitraryUsername Thu 27-Sep-12 14:33:31

Our new house has bath, loo, sink against one wall. And a folding door (which is both horrible and completely impractical, as it's fitted of badly).

The previous idiots owners split the perfectly decent sized bathroom into two rooms. So now there is a quite small bathroom with a very narrow folding door that you can't shut fully and a pointless separate toilet with no sink in it. There is absolutely no storage in either but there is a horrible jacuzzi bath.

Once we've finished doing everything else (the kitchen got ripped out today, and there are serious roof leaks that need urgent attention) and saved up our pennies, we will be reinstating the single bathroom again - and making sure there is some storage.

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:38:13

We have the toilet between the sink and bath:

i39.tinypic.com/zmgmd0.jpg

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:38:44

try again:
i39.tinypic.com/zmgmd0.jpg[

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:39:30

Ach you'll just have to copy and paste!

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:42:38

Our bathroom is basically a door width plus a 800mm shower bath and a wee bit extra wide and is the length of a bath plus about 2 foot on 1 side and less than that on the other.

ArbitraryUsername Thu 27-Sep-12 14:43:11

Your link

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:44:22

the bath used to have the tap end right next to the loo and the window end but it was really difficult to get a shower there because of the window so we moved it up the other end beside the door.

amck5700 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:44:56

Thanks Arbitrary smile

Bumblequeen Thu 27-Sep-12 15:30:41

Arbitrary- your layout is better than ours.

We literally climb out of the shower onto the toilet! The sink faces the bath so we lose space there.

FriedSprout Thu 27-Sep-12 19:38:52

Will pm you Bumblequeen

fuckadoodlepoopoo Thu 27-Sep-12 19:39:22

Bumble. Your sounds like mine. Its as small as it can possibly be!

5700. Thanks, that's interesting to see.

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 27-Sep-12 20:01:59

I used to have a very small bathroom. It was good, but I didn't do it so don't know if expensive. Basically, they used a toilet and a sink with no pedestals. The cistern must have been in the ceiling, and possibly a bit of wall space devoted to the waste pipe - but the visual effect of having nothing on the floor except a square of lino was very good, (and super easy to clean). The bath was across the wall opposite the door and, sadly, was one of those ones with a seat in it that tries to make up for being short by being deep. OK for me, not so much for DH.

ArbitraryUsername Thu 27-Sep-12 20:15:08

That's amck's bathroom, not mine. I'm not posting pictures of our dire bathroom/toilet set up. The bathroom bit is not tiny (still small, but not teeny), but many bad decisions have been made. Such as the decision that there should be no storage whatsoever. Not even a mirrored cabinet above the sink.

The sink takes up a ridiculous amount of space, but has quite a small bowl area. The taps turn the wrong way and aren't fitted properly, so it wobbles around alarmingly. The toilet also takes up more space than is necessary, and it isn't fixed to either the wall or the floor. It's just been plonked in the middle of the floor and looks crap. The bath would be fine, if it weren't a jacuzzi bath (with a switch in one of the bedrooms) and if they'd fitted the bath panel properly. They put plywood in as a panel and tiled it the same as the walls but haven't bothered to finish it off on one end, so there's a big nasty looking gap. The shower doesn't seem to work either.

The door is just stupid. It folds in the middle, but you can't shut it properly because the handle is positioned such that it has to be slotted into a notch cut out of the door frame. It's really narrow too. The separate toilet is hideous. Think your gran's toilet circa 1990. And it doesn't have a sink, so you'd have to wait for the bathroom to be free to wash your hands or go downstairs to the kitchen.

We're going to rip out the stud walls and then have a really nice bathroom, with a bath and separate shower and plenty of storage. And absolutely no dodgy tiling! Oh, and a door that shuts. Well, that's the plan... Eventually. Right now we need a kitchen and a watertight roof more.

CornishCreamPuff Thu 19-Jun-14 12:34:13

Any ideas on what to do with the world's smallest bathroom? This is the photo from the sales particulars... the vendor was a bit of a hoarder grin

lelijele Mon 11-Jul-16 11:50:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now