Talk

Advanced search

Brick tiles in a bathroom?

(10 Posts)
lilibet Wed 26-Sep-12 13:27:37

What do you think? I've had comments that they are too public loo.

I want a bathroom that won't date and fell in love with this look from the V and A but I'm now wondering if these will date as they do seem to have been popular.

www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod3308/section973/VandA-Dot-White-Border.html

Yorky Wed 26-Sep-12 13:37:51

Brick tiles are very popular atm, I have no idea how long it will last. A kitchen designer told me that by the time mainstream suppliers like Topps have copied fashionable tiles they are already on their way out!
I'd just go with what you like personally.
I don't like the brick thing myself, and am looking at using huge 30x60cm white wall tiles in our shower room - but laying them out brickwise instead of in straight columns iyswim hmm

emsyj Wed 26-Sep-12 13:42:58

I really like them, we put them in our old house and I'm contemplating putting them in this one too! They are a bit tube/New York subway - have you seen Carrie's bathroom in sex & the city? She has a big white tub and white subway tiles, I think they are classic and timeless. But then I'm not fashionable so I wouldn't know...

befrazzled Wed 26-Sep-12 13:44:22

I like them but it doesn;t really matther what other people think, f you like them, and they match the style of your bathroom then get them.

Pancakeflipper Wed 26-Sep-12 13:44:46

I don't like a full tiled room in them. Too public swimming baths/ loo. Feels too cold.

lilibet Wed 26-Sep-12 13:47:38

It wouldn't be fully tiled in them, if you look at the picture half is in a square tile

londonmackem Wed 26-Sep-12 16:26:28

Grout will be a nightmare to clean!

Frontpaw Wed 26-Sep-12 16:28:44

Will they be ok with all the bathroom steam? Probably a stupid comment.
I don't like them because I imagine spiders crawling up them (I am a bit weird).

If you go plain, then they won't date. Don't have light ones on the floor though - you will go mad trying to keep it clean and hair free.

Spaghettivongole Wed 26-Sep-12 18:41:01

Just marking place as I am also considering these sort of tiles. Or my alternative is single-colour mosaic tiles, maybe in grey or sage green? With some of the walls painted?

FishfingersAreOK Wed 26-Sep-12 18:59:03

I am doing a white with black stripe (one thin one thick) brick bathroom - not using metro though - have found some slightly concave, slightly longer (30cm) Italian tiles - think Metro tiles so now I am a bit worried about it looking dated - so trying to avoid. I am aiming for a modern take on the 1930s look. Did have a wobble about it then saw my new neighbours bathroom (they have just bought a wreck a few doors down) and theirs is still the real original '30s black and white. A bit grubby but I loved it. Now convinced will be great. And tbh I think my big being tiles in the en-suite may end up looking dated earlier...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now