Talk

Advanced search

Radiator in bedroom not working at all

(15 Posts)
RedHelenB Wed 26-Sep-12 12:12:08

Just wondered if anyone new likely reasons & possible solutions as at the moment money is very tight. Tried bleeding it but it is stone cold all over. Other radiators working fine.

It's probably a valve, so water can't enter the rad. I had it happen a few times at my old house, but we had heating cover so an engineer came out and swapped it. Five minute job, so probably not hard to do if you can find a tutorial online smile

sparklingwine Wed 26-Sep-12 12:20:53

My dad has a radiator that does this and he hits the end pipes with a hammer and it solved it! Apparently a bit of stuff can get stuck in the valve/pipe and hitting it dislodges it.
Disclaimer- I have no plumbing experience!

RedHelenB Wed 26-Sep-12 17:47:30

Might try the hammer first lol!!!

Not sure if my british gas service agreement covers my radiators or not - will haver to look into it.

Thanks folks!!

purplewithred Wed 26-Sep-12 23:20:29

Definitely try the hammer, followed by googling stuck valve. (I'm obviously not a plumber)

PigletJohn Thu 27-Sep-12 00:26:38

turn off all the other rads and see if this one warms up.

has it got a thermostatic radiator valve?

what comes out when you bleed it?

is it by any chance the highest rad in the house?

how old is your heating sysyem, and does the boiler have a pressure gauge on it?

PigletJohn Thu 27-Sep-12 00:31:55

do you live in Cornwall?

Rattitude Thu 27-Sep-12 00:41:57

ooooh... quite intrigued by the Cornwall residence question...

RedHelenB Thu 27-Sep-12 04:33:53

Boiiler is 16 years old and not sure about the pressure gauge. It is on the same floor as other bedrooms & bathroom. Water came out when I bled it, no air sound like normal. And no I don't live in Cornwall.

PigletJohn Thu 27-Sep-12 06:40:42

Does it have a thermostatic radiator valve?

Brycie Thu 27-Sep-12 06:44:08

Hi RedHen, I think it woudl be a rare BG homecare agreement that didn't do radiators. We have recently pared our homecare insurance down to the ultimate basic and all it coversis central heating g and radiators. But check out the excess because if there's a £50 (which it was for me recently with a leak, tow months after a service!) then you find yourself out of pocket unnecessarily.

RedHelenB Fri 28-Sep-12 07:25:57

Thanks for everyone's help! For some reason when I went to bed last night it was working, although not as hot as the others!

RedHelenB Fri 28-Sep-12 07:27:44

And it does have a thermostatic valve

PigletJohn Fri 28-Sep-12 08:40:58

Well start by turning off the hot ones.

Some rads very hot and others cold or cool is typical of poor balancing.

If the rad then heats up, you have a balancing problem and not a blockage or TRV problem.

Is your hot water cylinder surprisingly hot?

PigletJohn Fri 28-Sep-12 08:45:00

P.S.

No need for a hammer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now