Talk

Advanced search

On next moving what will you refuse to compromise on?

(22 Posts)
Bumblequeen Mon 24-Sep-12 15:12:00

Dh and I have been living in house for five years. It is a 3 bedroom with the 3rd being a box room. We made the mistake of choosing a 'nice ready to move in home' on an 'ok' road. Neighbours look after their homes but we have a few garages with old shutters that look a bit scruffy and we are close to a school so litter is a problem.

On next moving- hopefully within a year I would like;

Off street parking-
Downstairs wc- do not like visitors being upstairs
Decent sized family bathroom - ours is tiny!
Three good sized bedrooms

Fizzylemonade Mon 24-Sep-12 17:15:54

A bit of a moot point for me as I am in my forever home wink but things from the last house to this,

A hall, an actual hall not a vestibule
No stairs off the lounge (all heat went up, downstairs freezing, noise travels too)
Parking for 2 cars
Option to convert a garage into a playroom so no link detached

TirednessKills Mon 24-Sep-12 17:37:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PogoBob Mon 24-Sep-12 18:07:25

In the process of buying, the things we won't compromise on were/are:

Parking.
Central Heating - fitting it is too much of a nightmare for me, however good the price is!
Garden - didn't have to be huge or landscaped but had to be flat with easy access from the house.
Third bedroom couldn't be a boxroom.
Space for a dining table in the kitchen.
Storage cupboard downstairs for DH to keep his amp in.

Think we've managed to find it all but had to compromise on being mid-terrace and only 1 reception room.

shinybaubles Mon 24-Sep-12 18:08:00

Garage, and off street parking, utility room (that's not just a cupboard), large garden, detached. Not that fussed about the inside in terms of rooms etc.

headfairy Mon 24-Sep-12 18:08:22

hahaha, our list is almost identical to yours OP... to that I will add a decent hallway downstairs. We have a tiny one and it's a pain if there are more than two people near the door at any one time!

fussychica Mon 24-Sep-12 18:57:48

Returned to the UK last year - as we still have our house in Spain we had a pretty limited budget. Had to compromise on size of property and garden and be prepared to do a good bit of DIY but must haves were:
Good quiet location
Detached
Off road parking (actually managed to get a garage & off road spaces).

Very pleased with what we got for the money but if we sell in Spain I'd probably trade up for a nicer garden, another loo & bigger kitchen. However, we seem to have hit lucky with neighbours and that counts for a lot.

sparkle9 Mon 24-Sep-12 21:06:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Devora Mon 24-Sep-12 22:49:56

I would love a hall (don't currently have one) and a wall between the lounge and the stairs (Fizzylemonade, are you my dp?)
I would really love high ceilings

Things I do have and would insist on again:
Good storage
Naice area
Nice neighbours (don't have to be naice)
Study (dp works from home)
Big windows, lots of light

Bumblequeen Tue 25-Sep-12 13:51:22

I forgot about adding the hallway! Ours is poky and was too small to leave dd's pram up when she was small. It was and still is a pain. I would love a wide door area but not sure if we can up to a period style house.

Things we do have:
Large loft
Under stair cupboard
South facing garden
End of terrace
Large kitchen/diner

Melindaaa Tue 25-Sep-12 13:57:50

Our house is pretty much perfect for us. If I had to say anything, I'd like to live in not quite such a residential road. We are detached but lots of other houses around.

Melindaaa Tue 25-Sep-12 13:59:49

Things I have in this house that I wouldn't compromise on are:

5 bedrooms
Enclosed garden
En suite
Downstairs toilet
Level garden
Garage

Doilooklikeatourist Tue 25-Sep-12 14:05:37

I need ...
Nice spacious hallway
Downstairs loo
Utility room
Ensuite bathroom

In my next house I WILL CHOOSE MY OWN KITCHEN .
I will . Definetely .
< looks at skanky mustard yellow walls and dark blue work top >

Mum2Fergus Tue 25-Sep-12 17:07:58

Minimum 4 beds, 4th to be office space (I work from home, on kitchen table at moment), dining kitchen, lounge, utility, downstairs wc...good size south facing back garden, private parking...preferably walking distance to schools smile

MrsJohnDeere Tue 25-Sep-12 17:20:20

Easy offroad parking for at least 2 cars
Lots of downstairs rooms - NOT open plan
Open fire or wood burner or suitable chimney for installing one
Downstairs loo, 2 upstairs bathrooms with baths and showers
4 beds minimum, of a decent size
Detached
Decent sized rear garden

tricot39 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:46:15

in catchment for schools of choice!
nice neighbours
downstairs loo
sunny garden (can be compact)
kitchen diner
space for dh to work
cantilever stone staircase in my dreams
4 double beds
15/20 minute walk or bus to work
not spending years in a building site (but some work ok esp if could be done before we move in)

Devora Tue 25-Sep-12 21:41:22

I'd like room for a piano.

I'd also like a piano.

I'd like to be able to rent nearby for 3 months while the whole place is sorted - new electrics, replastering, new kitchen and bathroom, new flooring throughout... instead of moving straight in and having to live with loads of things that I would love to be able to afford to change one day.

Mintyy Tue 25-Sep-12 21:44:00

Downstairs loo
Second bathroom
Fourth bedroom

Can't really see the point in moving if I don't get those.

Mandy21 Wed 26-Sep-12 08:42:45

Bought this house almost 3 years ago :

Wouldn't compromise on :
Location - had to be within walking distance of my children's primary school.
Location - had to be within catchment of preferred secondary schools (no plans to move again for a long time)
Location - had to be within walking distance of the village - shops / cafes / restaurants / library etc
Location - had to be on a "nice" looking road in the right part of the village

I was a little bit set in my views of where it needed to be blush

Did compromise on : Everything else hmm
Condition - more work than we would have wanted
Size - have 3 bedrooms, with potential to extend, but would have preferred 4. Also would have preferred larger living space.
Budget - spent slightly more than we could afford

Pascha Wed 26-Sep-12 08:53:26

Off road parking (garage optional)
Better position back garden, its all in shadow by mid afternoon and I hate it
No boxrooms as bedrooms
Must be built post first war

We compromised on the parking this time and we hate it. Its a rural village and still we have trouble parking near the house. We didn't consider another baby would be on the cards and now I have to lose my dressing room, put the bathroom in there and make the bathroom into the 3rd bedroom (first world problem, I know) DH won't consider anything older than about 1920 and even that old gives him the heebie-geebies.

Bumblequeen Wed 26-Sep-12 08:59:21

It seems everyone would like a downstairs toilet!

I would like my house to face other houses. At present we have the view of a long garden fence opposite our house. During summer I hear the owners children and dog in the garden and they are loud. Also they have lots of bbq's and music. I am I truly for the winter months!

We have two garages directly beside our house which are in daily use. Unfortunately as the area in front is open space we have had kids loitering in the summer months. At least they move on after a few mins.

I wish I had thought of these things before moving and viewed in the summer to have had a more realistic view of how noisy/busy the area can become.

IShallCallYouSquishy Wed 26-Sep-12 09:03:10

We only moved into our brand spanking new build 4 bed townhouse from a 2 bed flat last January but already know what I would change if we ever move again!

Want a utility/laundry room
South facing garden
Garage attached to house and 2 car off street parking - garage currently as part of a coach house with just one parking space in front of it. I park behind back gate but it's not an official space and sometimes can't park there.

That's it! We are very fortunate we have a massive kitchen that you can easily feed a big family in and a separate dining room which will be a playroom when DD older. Massive master bedroom and the 4th bedroom is still a good size single room but my wonderful DH made it into a dressing room for me! DD's room is a large single/small double and guest bedroom is a reasonable double. Not huge but big enough for bed, lockers, chest of drawers and wardrobe.

Would be very difficult to compromise on all the good points about our house to get those 3 extra things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now