Talk

Advanced search

selling without an estate agent

(4 Posts)
manitz Mon 24-Sep-12 11:51:42

we are about to put our house on market. a friend is interested. if we sell without an agent what are the pitfalls? thanks

kittycat68 Mon 24-Sep-12 18:16:16

you could possibly fallout with your friend!!! be sure to have quote what yoiur house is worth from several agents, they will do this for free you dont have to sign a contract with them.

the main reason people dont use an estate agent is so they can save some money in stead of the agents fees.

crazyhead Mon 24-Sep-12 19:48:24

We are currently selling without an agent (hoping to exchange soon). Main pitfalls are keeping communication between the solicitors going - an agent would talk to both but you just talk to your own and conveyancing solicitors seem need constant hassling to do their work. OH has worked very hard to keep things going.

Because it is a friend I think it is important to reach a price that gives you both a bit of a discount thanks to saving the EA fees and to have a REALLY clear shared idea about what that fair price is and under what terms you'd drop it (what if your survey shows problems?). It is a stressful and unpleasant process.

But that is more about the fact of selling to a friend than selling directly.

manitz Tue 25-Sep-12 09:16:49

hm thank you both. we are pretty sure what our house is worth as it's quite flat round here. she is a very businesslike friend and I think we could each be square with each other. The main problem would be pushing on the sale but hte savings might be worth it. On the otherhand i'm thinking an agent would ensure we had a backup buyer should sale fall through...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now