Talk

Advanced search

Vertical radiators/towel rails

(19 Posts)
GrumpyCrossPatch Sun 23-Sep-12 09:49:18

Help! We are redoing our bathroom which, although small, has 2 external walls and a massive window. Consequently it will require a radiator giving off 4500 BTUs. It currently has a piddly towel rail and is freezing so I am concious that towel rails are not great for heat. So do I:

A. Try and find a towel rail that gives off massive heat - recommendations please.
B. Get a towel rail and separate radiator.
C. Get a vertical radiator and if so where do I put my towels? Can you get rails that can clip onto the radiator? Again, where?
D. Man up and shiver.

All advice gratefully received!

Derkyderpy Sun 23-Sep-12 09:53:11

Don't think you should man up and shiver! Apart from that, can't really help, but we are also redoing our bathroom, so will hope you get some helpful responses. smile

nocake Sun 23-Sep-12 09:53:33

We have a towel rail and a separate radiator. It works well, if you have enough wall space. Or get a high power rad and fit a non-heated towel rail to the wall above it.

Pannacotta Sun 23-Sep-12 10:12:19

Look at stainless steel towel rails, they tend to have higher BTUs.
But I do agree with nocake that your best bet is probably to have a radiator plus towel rail.
Towel rails are usually covered in damp towels and so even if they have a high BTU rating they dont give off enough heat.
And have the rail dual fuel (wired to elecrics) so can you use it in summer too.

Pannacotta Sun 23-Sep-12 10:15:40

These are the highest I found and are very good quality (we have one), but dont come cheap
www.sbhradiators.co.uk/ss700

RustyBear Sun 23-Sep-12 10:36:30

We have this which keeps our otherwise cold bathroom really warm, even with a couple of towels on it. I can't remember exactly how many btus it gives, but we got it from a small independent local plumber who was concerned that we might find it too hot, but I like my bathroom warm and we find it just right. It's on when ever the boiler is, unless we turn it off at the bottom.

RatherNot Sun 23-Sep-12 10:56:45

What about underfloor heating? The electric systems are easy to install albeit slightly more expensive to run. Works well with heated towel rail.

GrumpyCrossPatch Sun 23-Sep-12 17:34:57

All food for thought. Will the underfloor heating provide enough ambient heat to supplement a towel rail do you think?

fossil97 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:17:25

this one a bit of a monster but we have one only slightly smaller and the bathrooms are toasty. I guess they are bigger than you would normally see in a small bathroom. I suspect your present towel rail is just undersized, you need at least twice the size of an equivalent panel radiator.

Yes, you do put damp towels on but they dry pretty soon, it's not like they are loaded with sopping washing 24/7. Not sure about stainless steel but the white painted ones have about 10 % more BTU's than the chrome in that range.

this range have high outputs but starting to get pricey. We did get a huge vertical radiator of about 6000 btu for our kitchen from this company, they have a massive range.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 19:21:35

B

Derkyderpy Sun 23-Sep-12 21:58:49

Hmm, PigletJohn being mysterious. Not your usual style, Piglet. grin

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:00:48

not at all mysterious

"A. Try and find a towel rail that gives off massive heat - recommendations please.
B. Get a towel rail and separate radiator.
C. Get a vertical radiator and if so where do I put my towels? Can you get rails that can clip onto the radiator? Again, where?
D. Man up and shiver."

B

Derkyderpy Sun 23-Sep-12 22:24:08

Oh, Gawd, sorry. I thought mebbe you were on a phone and got cut off. No idea you actually meant to say:

B

I like that. Is it the dawn of the one-letter post?

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:27:01

Y.

Derkyderpy Sun 23-Sep-12 22:28:23

O.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:29:03

F
U
N
E
X
?

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:37:21

[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWMcRlE1mQ perhaps not'' sad

PigletJohn Sun 23-Sep-12 22:38:15

damn

Derkyderpy Sun 23-Sep-12 22:59:38

R-R

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now