Talk

Advanced search

Ideas to improve 70's bathroom

(26 Posts)
DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 15:35:20

Pic on profile (give me a minute).

This will be our bathroom when we move. Bathroom is a bit lighter and will be better I hope once the curtain is removed!.. Guess you call the colour pampas or champagne. Dark oak wood floor.

I want to brighten it up but spend a minimum amount for now. Excuse for this bathroom is that it is in Italy (no offence to the lovely Italian mnetters on here) but this is quite typical for here.

So, what colour suggestions....obviously could put up a floor to ceiling shower curtain lol (not keen on curtains but needs must) I did also wonder about tile transfers but not sure it would work effectively on such a large area. The rest of the house is neutral except for the other bathroom which has yellow and bright blue daisy tiles but I can live with those wink

tia

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 15:42:30

ok, pic uploaded

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 16:41:51

bump

mumblechum1 Sat 22-Sep-12 16:45:53

Honest answer?

I'd just live with it until you have enough money to rip it out and replace everything, floor to ceiling.

Tile transfers and tweaks like that are unlikely to improve it much, I'd just try to ignore it until you have the cash to do a proper job. How many minutes in the average time do you spend in the bathroom anyway?

Sorry that this post contains zero inspiration grin

Selks Sat 22-Sep-12 16:49:05

What mumblechum said.

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 16:55:51

gee thanks grin lol, you are probably right. However, what about a paint colour for now and towels, what colour? Still not bother? I know I won't spend a huge amount of time in there much as I might like to wallow in the bath but still.......

Selks Sat 22-Sep-12 17:05:57

You could try a white tile paint for a temporary freshen up. Clean the tiles VERY well before, and use a small fine sponge roller. Fresh white towels and white mat on the floor?

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 17:08:06

I suppose that is worth a try, it can't look much worse?? or transfers? I have uploaded 2 more pics to defend my purchase of such a hideous lovely bathroom wink

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 17:10:01

which still don't do it justice lol

Selks Sat 22-Sep-12 17:11:36

Are you in Italy or somewhere? <jealous>

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 17:13:27

yes......the clue is in the op grin

Selks Sat 22-Sep-12 17:20:01

Errrmm blush blush grin !

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 19:51:22

grin

noddyholder Sat 22-Sep-12 20:11:47

Agree with mumble Leave it Tile paint and stickers etc invariably look worse and make it harder to scrub. Put some lovely towels and bath stuff in there and wait.

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:14:18

yes........ but what colour

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:15:39

I want a colour to warm or brighten it up

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:17:41

and maybe paint what walls there are to lift it. next to no chance of ripping it out any time soon.

ggirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:21:23

God it's bad isn't it
I would try for a neutral monochrome look and have light cream/white tiles
white loo seat
paint dark wood cream
change the blinds to plain cream maybe with a texture to them

ggirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:23:07

magnificent view though..you lucky thing

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:25:17

don 't hold back, it is my new home you're talking about grin yes bad by uk standards but all the rage here it would seem wink

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 22-Sep-12 20:27:12

Tongue and grove panel for side of bath painted in light cream, cream tile paint ( use a roller, sis did this on my recommendation and 8 years on still fine and wipes easily as tiles)

Replace toilet seat with cream / white as tiles etc.

ggirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:28:43

aww sorry
am sure it's better in rl

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:30:41

mmm, that could work on the side panel and new loo seat will probably help alot.

DelGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 20:32:30

no worries ggirl, just kidding. It is slightly better in RL but if money were no object i'd obviously blow it to kingdom come with not a shred of guilt grin

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 22-Sep-12 20:54:28

Strip and wax the floorboards back to a natural wood. Their are some fairly noxious chemical stripers around that will take the colour off the floorboards but you'll need to double glove and mask yourself to use, easier than sanding in a confined space. You could paint the boards but it will possibly cheapen the look of the room.

If their are gaps in the flooring between boards use a coloured silicon based sealant before waxing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now