Advanced search

Kitchen Extractors for putting/hiding/plastering into the chimney breast....

(13 Posts)
FishfingersAreOK Fri 21-Sep-12 17:50:23

Are these possible? What do I need to know about extractors/cooker hoods. I know nothing at all about them and have to get one to go above the esse range in the chimney breast. Help! Please!

PigletJohn Fri 21-Sep-12 18:02:11

do you mean you want to blow the steam and cooking smells up the chimney? or out through the wall?

FishfingersAreOK Fri 21-Sep-12 18:05:43

Up the chimney. I think. House is a semi and cooker is in a working chimney so in the middle of the house. I think the plan is to use the chimney to get rid of the smells. To go through a wall would mean taking it all the way across the house ( including trying to get past an RSJ) . Is it possible to use the chimney?

annalouiseh Fri 21-Sep-12 18:14:03

Not sure if there is regs or not but few people have raised the same q.
I do know when my dh worked for large kitchen companies they were allowed or didnt do it, as its you own project i would call your local council just to find out more

PigletJohn Fri 21-Sep-12 18:26:35

up the chimney will cause condensation, and also a build-up of smelly fat on the brickwork.

In an ordinary house this will take a long time to soak through to the surface, but in restaurants it is a source of unhygenic grease stains and even fires.

It would be possible to line it with a duct, but very much easier to vent the extractor through a wall. If your kitchen has at least one outside wall, it is usually fairly easy to run white rectangular duct on top of the wall cabinets, or inside them. In some cases it can be run between the joists but this is more work.

FishfingersAreOK Fri 21-Sep-12 18:57:58 outside wall...bugger....a fatal flaw in our plan. Bugger. Bugger. How big is the ducty thing? Are there alternatives {desperate}

PigletJohn Fri 21-Sep-12 19:27:20


it can be painted to blend in.

the rectangular is neater if on show. It can be disguised with coving.

annalouiseh Fri 21-Sep-12 19:44:02

Soz meant wernt allowed to do it

FishfingersAreOK Fri 21-Sep-12 21:07:48

OK thank you so much for all this....fortunately ceiling plasterboard not yet gone up so we may yet be able to sort some way to taking the ducting through to the family room.
How long max can the ducting be please?

Also PigletJohn (I love you by the way and you have convinced me not to have a bathroom cupboard above my sink) and or anyone else who is knowledgeable about this stuff is the lining/flue up the chimney really an alternative? The chimney is not used for anything else? Is it fairly straightforward to do? Would we then need a special extractor. The chimney bend (about 45 degrees) about 1.75meters above the ground. Would this be enough to prevent stuff coming back down the chimney.

Arghhh - this is not what I planned to be thinking about on a Friday night (sobs)

DowagersHump Fri 21-Sep-12 21:12:10

I have exactly the same problem so I'm watching this thread with interest. My cooker has to go in the fireplace - it's enormous and it's the only place for the cooker. But there is a scary heath robinson plastic extractor fan fitted to a piece of MDF in there at the moment which really doesn't work (it was there when we moved in and I have switched it off because the plastic melted shock) so don't do that!

I do need something though sad

FishfingersAreOK Fri 21-Sep-12 21:27:33

We have nowhere else either - and is 4m to one external wall and 4.5meters to the other. Chimney seems the logical place...but from what I have been reading tonight most extractors would not have enough power to extract 8meters upwards - and so beginning to panic!

PigletJohn Fri 21-Sep-12 22:29:13

duct up chimney is a bit specialised. More chip-shop than domestic. For that length you will probably need a duct fan, but it will need a grease filter to prevent clogging, and I suppose it will need a trap for whatever drips down.

I think you ought to email some manufacturers like Elica or Vent-Axia, they may have a leaflet or an advice desk.

In a domestic kitchen the plastic duct run along the top of the wall is much more usual. The spec of the hood or extractor ought to say what duct length it can cope with. 4m is nothing special. You may end up spending some money and asking some local HVAC engineers to quote.

here's an example of a powerful one

FishfingersAreOK Sat 22-Sep-12 19:43:54

Thank you for all your advise...have been trawling the interweb some more today and think I may take my measurements (so to speak) and see if I can get advise from the specialist as PigletJohn suggested. Have emailed Elica....will try and update...would far rather be looking at bathroom mirrors though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now