Talk

Advanced search

Keep Warm home insulation grants

(20 Posts)
fluffyanimal Fri 21-Sep-12 15:47:13

I had one of these leaflets through the door saying that for a limited time, the government grants for getting your home insulation done are available to all, with no means testing. Sounds a bit too good to be true. Anyway, I rang them up and the offer seems genuine. So now I'd like to know if anyone out there has been the recipient of one of these grants and what was your experience of having the work done? TIA.

PigletJohn Fri 21-Sep-12 16:33:14

you can also get it done free by your gas or electricity company.

I had mine done by SE and was very pleased with the job, but they are a big enough company for me to trust them, and if I complained I'm sure they'd put it right.

I am a bit suspicious of doorstep leafletters.

BG free EDF free

fluffyanimal Fri 21-Sep-12 16:39:09

Thanks for the links PigletJohn. I'm with npower and they are only doing it for people in receipt of state pension or child tax credits, which don't apply to us.

PigletJohn Fri 21-Sep-12 16:44:30

bg link " absolutely anyone can apply for our free insulation - even if you’re not a British Gas customer."

atlantic (sse) link " So we're offering free loft and cavity wall insulation! You don't have to be a customer and some of you may even qualify to receive a High Street Voucher worth £75"

VerityClinch Fri 21-Sep-12 21:46:56

B&Q are offering it too -it's not just limited to energy supply companies.

Almandine Fri 21-Sep-12 21:53:35

We got it done for what it would have cost for the insulation,(not much more than £100 for the loft) but we didn't have to pay for the fitting, IYSWIM.

I don't think it was means tested. If it was they didn't want proof from me.

A friend had the same people round, who told her she was claiming CTC (wink wink) -although I think she really might have been as her DH had just set up his business and she just didn't want to tell me- and she got it for free.

SoozleQ Fri 21-Sep-12 22:22:58

As part of some crazy pay off for allowing me to put velux windows in my 2.5m x 2.5m kitchen extension, the buildings inspector man told me I had to have the entire roof of the rest of my house fully insulated. So I looked into this government grant business.

The Energy Savings Trust website and Momeysavingsexpert explain the deals. Basically energy companies have got targets and requirements to put this kind of insulation in place. Whilst it may seem too good to be true to us, these companies are not doing it for altruistic reasons but because the government are pretty much making them.

The insulating of lofts and cavity walls itself isn't done on a means tested basis but some of the additional incentives, such as cash back, are means tested. Tesco, for example, were offering something like £200 to over 70's and people on certain benefits. I think the grants cover a certain size of space so if your loft is bigger and you need more, you pay the difference.

The big companies then outsource to various smaller insulation companies. I went through EDF, I think, but some man from a different company came and looked at my loft and told me they would insulate it at no cost. They are supposed to be coming on Wednesday to do it. I am slightly terrified about having to empty my loft in time for then. Goodness only knows what is up there!

MissHairspray Sat 22-Sep-12 20:15:32

There is a government grant scheme for heating and insulation (called Warm Front) the criteria has recently widened but it is still means tested. As mentioned, all of the energy companies offer free or discounted insulation, but If this company is claiming it is talking about Government grants specifically then that's a bit odd (unless they just mean that the Government is now requiring energy companies to offer this to everyone).

fluffyanimal Tue 25-Sep-12 09:52:01

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into a variety of options.

thereinmadnesslies Tue 25-Sep-12 10:02:06

Does anyone know if you can get free cavity wall insulation for free without having the loft insulated at the same time? All the deals I've seen are for both.

Our loft is insulated already btw, we really don't need more as we store loads of crap useful stuff up there.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Tue 25-Sep-12 19:32:03

therein Yes you can. Phone up your energy company and see if they're doing it.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 25-Sep-12 19:39:15

I got my cavity wall insulation done last year and the loft insulation done this year. You dont have to do both at once. I got the loft insulation done for nothing through Scottish Gas.

SunnyUpNorth Tue 25-Sep-12 20:35:51

We just got our loft done on Friday. Anyone can have it done but the guy who came out told me the grants finish at the end of this year and they are only going to be taking bookings til the end of October as the workload from that would take them to dec. It is definitely not means tested.

I filled out the form here:
www.insulationgrants.info

They then sent me the details of a firm local to me who can do the work. They came and did a quote and I booked them in.

Our loft is quite big, 65 square metres, and it cost me the grand sum of £35!

They said you get up to 50m for free, then as we were local they did another 10m for free so I just had to cover the remaining 5m.

Interestingly I had a quote from a different firm back in march for around £130. I was going to go ahead with it but then we had to have some work done in the attic and I lost their details by the time
I got around to getting the insulation done. I mentioned to the second firm about the difference in price and they said smaller firms were given a bigger proportion of the grant so they could offer the work for less and therefore compete against the bigger firms. So it might be worth trying a few places.

As far as I know you can get cavity wall done without the loft being done as we did it the other way around.

Coconutfeet Wed 26-Sep-12 15:42:17

I think we will apply for this. If we eventually want to board our loft, is there anything we would need to do before they put the insulation in as I understand it's pretty thick.

PigletJohn Wed 26-Sep-12 16:05:06

The finished depth of insulation will be about ten inches.

The ceiling timbers will probably be about four inches, and they will (should) roll quilt between then to this depth. Then they will flop a big blanket over the top to make up the insulation depth

You can't put flooring on top of the blanket and squash it for two reasons.

However you can counterbatten the existing timbers by putting new timbers at right-angles to them, and the flooring on top of that. You will have to slice the blanket to fit the new timbers. The flooring should be slightly higher than the top of the insulation to give an air gap and reduce the risk of condensation.

Carpenters will not like doing it as lofts are horrible to work in (too hot or to cold, cramped, very dirty, and older/cheaper grades of insulation shed itchy fibres.

The flooring will not be strong enough to use as a habitable room.

An alternative more modern method is to insulate betwen the timbers, then lay rigid foam insulating slabs on top of it to make the depth, then put flooring on top. No battens are required as the rigid foam tranmits the load from the floor onto the timbers. You will not get this done on a grant as thre rigid boards are much more expensive. However a carpenter will probably not mind doing it so much as it is mostly sawing and screwing so not as dirty, and the board does not shed fibres. Kingspan and Celotex are the best-known brands. Yoiu might find a display in your DIY shed or builders merchant.

If you every buy rolls of insulation yourself, look at the packaging to see if it has the coating to prevent dust and fibres. the trade name is "Ecose" but there may be others. Some of it is branded Knauf. If you stroke a bit it feels sort of silky.

It is usually available with the energy subsidy and very cheap.

Coconutfeet Thu 27-Sep-12 15:21:24

Thanks Pigletjohn. You've been a veritable mine of information on various issues since we moved into our new house! It's greatly appreciated.

lisad123 Thu 27-Sep-12 15:23:53

We had this 5 years ago. We got loft insulated free and they also have us a grant to help with removing back boiler and getting new one fitted. We paid £200 in total for new boiler, one new radiator and to have old one pulled.
smile

desperateforaholiday Fri 28-Sep-12 10:33:56

We've just had cavity wall insulation done, completely free and we're just on ctc and wtc but they weren't interested in our financial situation at all. They did a good job, cleaned up after and we've received a certificate as well

SandyChick Fri 28-Sep-12 11:00:06

We had our loft insulated for free last winter. We don't receive any benefits. Someone came to the door asking I we wanted it done.

We were dubious at first but a neighbour had it done so we did too. I think the companies receive the grant from the government so the more they do the more money for them.

It only took them half an hour.

ameerarasul123 Sat 22-Feb-14 10:47:57

We too received a letter from Keep Warm Limited. I rang them for my home survey. A surveyor came out a week later, checked the property and advised that we can have free cavity and loft insulation. We're in full time employment and on no benefits. So, it was great. Three weeks later, free cavity and loft insulation smile Highly recommended - www.keepwarm.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now