Talk

Advanced search

Range cookers & toddlers - good or bad idea?

(28 Posts)
Murtette Wed 19-Sep-12 20:56:44

We're trying to come up with a design for our new kitchen. Due to it being a really dark room, we're keen to get rid of the existing towers of units but still want two decent size ovens. A range seems to solve many of our problems but a friend really put me off earlier as her toddler keeps turning on the gas hobs on their range. Now, is her toddler able to do this as their range is 15 years old & so built before the new push & turn dials were required or can/do all toddlers do this? DD is 3 but DS is only 4mo so, if they can/do do this, this could be a major problem with our new design. DD hasn't shown any interest in our existing gas hob but our units are higher than usual (previous owners were both 6ft) and the hob is set back from the edge so I'm not sure she's even noticed the dials.

PorkyandBess Wed 19-Sep-12 21:02:48

We have just bought a range with an induction hob.

They are very safe, they switch themselves off if there's no pan present and it has a child lock too.

amazonianwoman Wed 19-Sep-12 21:12:16

I have an inherited range, probably around 15 years old too, and it has survived 2 toddlers without the gas ever having been turned on. They never attempted to, just supervise them!

amazonianwoman Wed 19-Sep-12 21:13:02

If I were buying a new one I'd go for an induction top too.

Murtette Wed 19-Sep-12 21:23:33

I should have said that we're reluctant to go for an induction hob as, in the 15 months we've lived here, we've had three power cuts lasting more than 12 hours & it has been very useful to have the gas hob still functioning. Otherwise, I would love an induction hob.

fivegomadindorset Wed 19-Sep-12 21:32:59

DC's have never shown any inclination to go for the dials.

fivegomadindorset Wed 19-Sep-12 21:39:09

You can get knob guards.

BrianButterfield Wed 19-Sep-12 21:43:00

We have a gas hob on our range and it has the automatic cut-off thing. It really works.

libelulle Wed 19-Sep-12 22:59:31

You need two hands to turn gas on on ours. Took me and dh a while to get the hang of it ourselves so pretty sure our dc (2 and 4) don't have a hope!

Barbeasty Thu 20-Sep-12 06:25:15

We have a gas hob range which was new in the house when we moved in. DD can turn the gas on. It's only lighting it which takes 2 hands.

But all the dials are on the front. If they're on the top it would be much harder to reach iyswim.

And do check, because ours has some stupid safety feature where I don't think the gas works in a power cut.

BellaOfTheBalls Thu 20-Sep-12 06:32:47

I have a range cooker and a 14mo. Gas hob, electric ovens. He has not, as yet turned the hobs on but does spend a large part of his day attempting to climb inside the ovens.

RoobyMurray Thu 20-Sep-12 06:37:40

My children don't play with the cooker dials, but that is because we supervised and taught them.

This is really only an issue for such a short time in the scheme of things, don't let it affect the design of your kitchen which will last until long after they are toddlers.

twooter Thu 20-Sep-12 06:42:23

I would go for induction range and a backup camping gas stove for emergencies. Or if your power cuts are so bad, an induction range and get a generator - ( both my neighbours have them for the same reason)

Actually, not sure if carbon monoxide would be an issue with camping stove inside??

Murtette Thu 20-Sep-12 22:11:29

This is all useful. I agree that it will only be a concern for a short time in the grand scheme of things but, as DC2 is only 4mo, I wonder if it will seem to be a problem for what feels like a long time.
Its a very good point to check if we can use the gas without electricity to power it. If we can't, then we'll have an induction hob.

RoobyMurray Thu 20-Sep-12 23:23:38

induction cookers are the dog's bollocks btw!

trixymalixy Thu 20-Sep-12 23:25:35

There's no way my kids could turn on the gas on my range cooker, even if they'd not been taught to never touch it. I can barely manage most of the time....

Rhubarbgarden Fri 21-Sep-12 07:03:50

We've been in temporary accommodation for the past two weeks and dd has driven me batty turning on the oven every time my back is turned. But she's going through a naughty phase of doing everything she's told not to - she's 2.

{Repeats to self: this too will pass this too will pass this too will pass...

wonkylegs Fri 21-Sep-12 07:13:31

We have a range cooker and our curious (and naughty) DS was fine with it. We had words with him about not touching the cooker (it's hot) but tbh he was more interested in watching himself dance in the glass doors.

LeBFG Fri 21-Sep-12 07:22:56

18mo DS here who regularly turns on gas knobs on range. He presses the ignition too, but not at the same time. No amount of explaining and 'no' as this age seems to work tbh. Just have to sit it out. Tbh, I'm a bit disillusioned with our range. It takes up a lot of space without 'doing' very much apart from looking good. Since I got an outdoor second small electric oven, I use that one all the time. I have problems with power cuts too, hence the gas. If I could replace, it would be with seperate units with the cooking top a mix of electric and gas rings.

MoreBeta Fri 21-Sep-12 07:25:31

We have a Rangemaster that needs the dial pushing in and then turning and then push another button to light the gas. You need to be quite strong to do it and I dont think a toddler could at all.

Love induction hobs too. They are brilliant as they dont make your kitchen hot. The Ivy Restaurant in London just got rid of its gas hobs and fitted induction ones.

trixymalixy Fri 21-Sep-12 08:19:54

you can buy safety covers

Murtette Fri 21-Sep-12 09:19:06

I don't think its the lighting of the gas that concerns me - after all, if its alight, the danger is obvious. My friend's DD turns the gas on but doesn't light it so they're constantly checking to see if they can smell gas. The DD concerned is generally pretty well behaved but just likes turning knobs. Given the bizarre but generally open plan layout of our house, DC are often in the kitchen area and not closely supervised as its well child proofed but the range worries me as it seems a child - not necessarily mine but a visitor - could turn the gas on.

libelulle Fri 21-Sep-12 09:25:29

On my range (rangemaster) you can't keep the gas on without it being lit - you have to keep depressing the button while sparking for it to turn on, hence why you need two hands. So even if the dial is turned by a wandering toddler, no gas will come out. I'd be quite surprised if any new cookers didn't have that safety feature.

MoreBeta Fri 21-Sep-12 09:27:35

Our solution to this was to put a stairgate on our living room door that kept the toddler DSs out of kitchen and corridor.

EyesDoMoreThanSee Fri 21-Sep-12 09:28:39

Our old gas cooker in the house we just bought which I want to get rid of can be turned on by our toddler. Can't leave her in teh kitchen/diner without me atm.

The new dual fuel we want to buy should have the safety feature which libelulle mentions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now