Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dismantling and re-building ikea furniture - does it go back together okay??

(16 Posts)
PogoBob Wed 19-Sep-12 20:48:03

We've got this tv unit and need to move house in the next couple of months. There is no hope of getting this out of the house in one piece so will need to take it apart.

Do expedit units go back together okay - this unit holds a lot in terms of DVD's, toys, TV etc. so a little weary of it collapsing on the DCs!!

TIA

discrete Wed 19-Sep-12 20:49:21

Yes, of course, why wouldn't it?

Just put in as many bolts etc. as were in there originally.

PogoBob Wed 19-Sep-12 21:01:10

Thanks discrete, think I'm just a little cynical about the staying power of ikea furniture - a bit daft given the amount of it that I have in our house!

ogredownstairs Wed 19-Sep-12 21:04:04

We've got a huge expedit bookshelf that's been dismantled and reassembled twice - should be fine!

Merrow Thu 20-Sep-12 12:14:19

We've just moved our Ikea furniture - be careful with the edges! Structurally it held together fine, but the veneer is looking a bit flakey at parts. In hindsight we should have wrapped sheets round each individual bit, rather than just padding the lot and thinking that would be fine.

suntodayplease Thu 20-Sep-12 12:43:14

We had to skip 3 pax wardrobes which didn't survive the move. maybe as a result of poor assembly in the first place, when will we learn!

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 20-Sep-12 12:52:58

We've moved the tall height Pax wardrobes and they survived. The short Billy bookcase that has been dragged round DDs bedroom is now all a bit waobbly despit having the back nailed on.

Expedit is quite 'thick' though so should be fine. Keep all the bolts etc in a ziplock freezer bag.

DorisIsWaiting Thu 20-Sep-12 13:04:01

Our expidit has been up and down a few times (it's a bit of a bugger to get together again when you can't find the instructions!).

Fizzylemonade Thu 20-Sep-12 13:06:40

I have successfully dismantled and reassembled about 12 Pax wardrobes 3 times in house moves (as I knew we would be moving, when putting on the back panels I left the panel pin head slightly proud making it easier to pry out)

I have dismantled Ikea's Bonde units (now the Expedit unit) as long as you are careful it will be fine. I put the fixings into a sandwich bag and taped that to the unit itself.

Collapse them back down, whatever you do don't try to move it fully assembled. The instructions are available on-line on the Ikea website.

ggirl Thu 20-Sep-12 13:17:23

I dismantled and sold two large expedit units on ebay. I was shocked that they sold for nearly as much as I paid for them!

MrsHoarder Thu 20-Sep-12 14:19:52

We just moved with 1x Expedit, 4x Billy and 2x Pax. One Billy broke beyond repair, and one Pax is unlikely to survive another disassembly. But the rest are as good as new (and they were all on their second move).

I put the fittings in those little "change" bags and taped them to the units.

Gentleness Fri 21-Sep-12 21:18:21

Our Billys moved fine. The Hopen wardrobe is ok, but the doors look wonky now and we can't correct them. Bonde moved fine, apart from the bit where the stupid removal man tried to pick it before it was fully dismantled. (The man who quoted for delivery told us they could move them fully assembled but the men who came on the day refused to do it. THAT was fun!)

PogoBob Fri 21-Sep-12 21:22:14

Thanks for all the replies everyone - we also have 3 smaller expedit units, a billy bookcase and 4 pax wardrobes, all of which we will be moving built so will hopefully all work out okay confused

BananaPie Fri 21-Sep-12 21:30:52

We're about to move our pax wardrobes for the second time. The first move left them pretty wobbly, but just about functional. I don't think they'll survive the second move!

PogoBob Sat 22-Sep-12 21:07:36

In case anyone comes back to this thread, would it be better to dismantle the (single) Pax wardrobes rather than move the built.

TIA

MrsHoarder Sat 22-Sep-12 21:11:18

We dismantled plus (to fit them down the stairs) andone broke. But one billy broke when transported.

Pax are big, which was our deciding point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now