Talk

Advanced search

Please Tell Me The Truth about Broadstairs!

(10 Posts)
Mamf74 Wed 19-Sep-12 09:22:53

Hi,

A bit of background first - DH, DD and I moved back to my home town from Bristol when we had our DD; neither of us was from Bristol and we soon realised that close family & friends would provide a much needed support network. We miss it terribly but knew that we would, this house was a means to an end really and we were lucky to get the size we've got for the price we paid. We're ok here, there are typical urban problems I guess you'd get anywhere so we knew we'd be here possibly until DD started school then move out, somewhere in deepest Kent as it's still close enough to see people.

We've just come back from a week in Broadstairs and I have totally fallen in love with it. It is the closest place I've been that has the same feeling as Bristol, with loads of open space and opportunities to just have a coffee and sit on a bench. The property looks well priced and there seems a really good feeling of community that is often lacking in seasidey places.

So, am I just seeing it with the gloss of a sunny week away or is there another side to it? Are the schools ok? Does it all go to pot in October when the visitors leave?

We're still looking at realistically staying here for a couple more years but just having a plan in mind will give us a bit of a boost I think!

Thanks for reading!

Mamf74 Wed 19-Sep-12 21:45:38

(Bump)..... Anyone?

DowagersHump Wed 19-Sep-12 22:08:00

You've got mail smile

2fedup Fri 21-Sep-12 07:07:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubyStolenBootyGates Fri 21-Sep-12 07:13:55

It can be a bit twee. It has some nice property, and some real dumps.
Bleak House (Yes really, Charles Dickens' Bleak House) was for sale on top of the cliff last time we were there.

But, But.... it has a second hand book shop that is also a pub that sells real ale, cider and crusty bread and cheese. Personally, the next time I'm in Thanet I'll be moving in there and not ever coming out.

RubyStolenBootyGates Fri 21-Sep-12 07:16:31

OH's parents live technically in Broadstairs, but actually more in Ramsgate, which I prefer because It's less twee.) We'll hopefully be down in Kent by the time DS2 is of secondary age so he can go to to OH's or DS1's school (both grammars).

EdMcDunnough Fri 21-Sep-12 07:39:07

I like Broadstairs - mainly for the beaches. I don't live there so can't comment on what it's like in Winter - but it's the best of the bunch if you're looking at Thanet. There are some normal people there grin

I'm more inland, there are nicer counties than Kent but also far worse.

EdMcDunnough Fri 21-Sep-12 07:39:52

Main beach is v v busy btw - we don't go there, just the bays around it which are much quieter.

Mamf74 Sun 23-Sep-12 16:23:58

Thanks all, it's good to know it's not too different to how it felt when we were there!

Just out of interest, ruby, is Ramsgate ok? Haven't been there for years & years and know that it seems cheaper than Broadstairs...... Just trying to be a grown up and actually plan my life!

RubyStolenBootyGates Sun 23-Sep-12 16:39:30

Ramsgate is considered to be a bit "seedy". I like it because of that. It has some lovely property and I think it's where we'll end up when my contract ends and DS2 needs to go to school. (Although Canterbury is on the list too)

There are some dodgy bits and some very genteel bits. Margate however is considered (or at least was) to be the East End by the sea.

I've never been very keen on the overall twee-ness that emanates from Broadstairs, and it seems a bit dead in the winter whereas Ramsgate isn't quite as dead. I have a fondness for seaside towns in the winter. My ex's Mum is an Isle Of Wighter, and my Mum lives in a small seaside town between Bournemouth and Southampton so I've speant a lot of time in them at unlikely times of the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now