Talk

Advanced search

Priming furniture for painting

(8 Posts)
SunnyUpNorth Mon 17-Sep-12 20:21:03

I stripped and painted some old wooden furniture recently. I just bought a wood and metal primer from homebase thinking that would be fine, but it was oil based and so when I put my farrow and ball emulsion on it obviously went all patchy and was difficult to apply.

Admittedly I was a bit lazy about the sanding down.

I want to do another piece now and am wondering if all furniture primers are oil based and if so does that mean there is no choice but to go down that route but be prepared to then do lots of sanding? Or are there some good water based ones that do the job?

Also if I am painting pine and there are alot of knots in it do I need to use some knot block stuff on those too or will the primer be enough?

Does anyone just skip the primer and go for a sand down followed by the emulsion?!!

calendula Mon 17-Sep-12 20:48:23

Look for a water based primer, they are available.

You definitely need a knot blocker other the knots will bleed through. Look for an all in one primer combined with knot blocker, then you use it for everything.

Are you sure you let the oil based primer dry long enough? It often needs at least a day or two more drying time than it says on the tin if you are painting over with water based paint

SunnyUpNorth Tue 18-Sep-12 14:52:19

Thanks Calendula. Can you recommend an all in one water based primer?
I was conscious of that when I was buying the one I got but couldn't see anywhere on the tin if it was oil or water based and took the risk.

Would a water based all in one primer effectively block out the wood knots?

Thanks.

poppyboo Tue 18-Sep-12 18:20:40

Annie sloan chalk paint looks amazing on wood, no need to prime etc just clean wood so it's free of dirt and you're good to go! My sister painted her daughters vintage bed and it looks amazing!

poppyboo Tue 18-Sep-12 18:22:11

Here's the link: http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/copy_of_How_to_use_the_paint.html

If you do a bit of a google on it, the chalk paint is raved about, great as there's no need to prep/sand etc

poppyboo Tue 18-Sep-12 18:22:20

www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/copy_of_How_to_use_the_paint.html

SunnyUpNorth Wed 19-Sep-12 11:07:24

Thanks poppy boo, I have heard of it but don't think there was a stockist that near me last time I checked. Wonder if it would cover knots? I'll take a look. Thanks.

GobHoblin Fri 21-Sep-12 20:34:04

To check if its water or oil based just read the bit where it tells you how to clean your brushes afterwards. If its soap and water = waterbased, white spirit = Oil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now