Advanced search

Support thread for MN's trying to buy a house

(311 Posts)
financialwizard Mon 17-Sep-12 09:03:39

I can't find another thread like this, and I thought we could do with a sister thread to the trying to sell.

Thought I'd kick off with my rage!

Currently exchanged on the house that I have sold and living in husbands work accomodation so my situation is not dire, but still.

We offered on a property in August. It is a vacant property, and we said that we would like to exchange contracts 18th October with a view to complete no later than 1st November. We got the house at 95.8% of the market price.

So far we have not received the fixtures and fittings list, even though the vendor completed them the week before last. I have been back several times to measure up for lino in the bathrooms/curtains/take pictures of holes in the wall (for my decorator - there are lots). Went back this weekend just gone to check a couple of things (I always forget something) and the vendor has taken all of the bathroom fittings (toilet roll holder, etc), all of the curtain poles, all of the blinds. Now I am beginning to get a bit worried she is going to pull up all the carpets as well (not budgeted for them). I know I am going to have to wait until I get the F&F list but I am feeling slightly nervous at the potential cost of replacing things like carpets now (the whole house - 5 bed is carpetted). Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh.

My old man is going away for business just as we are due to complete as well, so it is going to have to be me to deal with it all. Really looking forward to this move.......NOT!!!!

Never EVER doing this again.

rubydoobydoo Sun 06-Jan-13 17:11:38

we've just been to our house to take a few measurements (and glare at the vendor in a "why do you still live here" sort of way! wink )

It's looking like February for the move - there's been a delay in the upward chain a bit as our vendor's vendors have been on holiday over Christmas - but now everyone is back and all the paperwork is with the right solicitors! grin

I still love the place, and it was nice to see it in the daylight. We also went to the local shop and local pub - we really like the neighbourhood! smile

TuttoRhino Mon 24-Dec-12 14:11:52

I'm very envious M2F. Good news Ruby. Our survey came back with no major issues either. Very relieved.

That timing fills me with dread LST. We've not heard from the mortgage broker so I guess we'll find out after Christmas, which is annoying. Hope the vendors have a think over Christmas and change their minds. It may be too raw for them right now.

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 24-Dec-12 11:00:18

Good news ruby, you must be so relieved!

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 24-Dec-12 10:59:52

Tutto Good luck withe bank statements issues. Ours took FOUR weeks till my flipping mortgage lender was happy with the statements provided!

Mum2F Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. We have been told by the EA that the vendor's family are not willing to reduce the price at all. Even though the survey has identified around £10k worth of work that needs to be done to make it safe e.g total rewiring of the house.

rubydoobydoo Sun 23-Dec-12 20:59:39

Congrats Mum2Fergus - that was really quick! smile

Fingers crossed TuttoRhino - we didn't need to provide proper statements in the end as they decided internet ones were enough - which is a good thing as I'm still waiting for the proper ones I ordered!

We've had our survey done now - and the extension isn't going to fall off any time soon and it generally seems to be in a reasonable condition for the age of the house (1968-ish). No signs of subsidence either - it's in a former mining area so that's a relief! No damp. The surveyor recommends the only hope for the weird lean-to bit at the back is demolition - but we'll probably keep it as we quite like it! grin (and it's not going to fall off either - if it does then I suppose it's just demolished itself so will save us a job!)

Mum2Fergus Thu 20-Dec-12 16:06:59

Hi London, gas safety certificate was £102 inclusive of VAT. I used the same company that does the inspection for my landlord.

Sols called today to say all checks done and satisfactory! Cant believe how smoothly its all gone! Paperwork coming in post to me tonight and mortgage details have been sent over by Bank.

TuttoRhino Thu 20-Dec-12 12:49:31

Sorry to hear that LondonSuperTrooper. There seems to be a steady trickle of properties coming onto the market in the areas we're looking in. Today was the first day that I saw a house and thought - oh that one's nice (and cheaper), maybe we should have looked some more. However I know my husband wouldn't like it due to the room sizes.

Congratulations M2F. That was really quick.

Our survey / valuation was carried out yesterday. We've been sorting stuff with the lawyers and should get the first lot of documents today or tomorrow. We're waiting to hear back from our broker about the mortgage. We've had a faff with our bank statements due to having an internet bank which meant specially ordered statements were needed and they've probably been caught up in the Christmas post. They've got our internet statements and need to the proper ones to cross check. I won't be able to relax until we get the mortgage offer confirmed and it sounds as if it might not be before Christmas due to the bank statement issue.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 20-Dec-12 09:44:14

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted on this thread for a long while. Its great that so many have moved on and are in their house for Christmas.

As for us, we have now FINALLY got a mortgage. Unfortunately for us, the vendor has died and the property has to go through probate. I'm hoping that we'll have more houses back on the market after Christmas.

Mum please can you give an indication as to how much the gas certificate safety costs?

Mum2Fergus Wed 19-Dec-12 17:53:44

Email from Bank...all approved and with Sols for the legal bit...woohoo grin

Mum2Fergus Wed 19-Dec-12 15:34:11

Full mortgage application with underwriters as of this afternoon smile fingers crossed for a quick response!

Mum2Fergus Tue 18-Dec-12 21:53:21

Thats encouraging Kato, well done! House passed gas safety inspection today so our offer has been confirmed...Bank in the morn for full mortgage application!

KatoPotatoHoHo Tue 18-Dec-12 09:05:26

Hey again! Just wanted to say thanks and Cheerio to you all! Just spent first night in our very first home of our own!!!

We managed to view and complete within six weeks (Scotland) so it can be done!

Best of luck to everyone on this exciting journey! Xxx

Mum2Fergus Mon 17-Dec-12 07:11:07

You're I said, if you need anything checking out locally, please do let me know.

YellowWellies Sun 16-Dec-12 21:08:46

That's a really good point about the schools! Thanks for the tips!

Mum2Fergus Sun 16-Dec-12 16:37:51

Not the new ines...we found cracking wee house directly opposite the Primary School. I know its not Fife, but have you seen the plans for Winchburgh? £1b investment over next 15 will be Scotlands newest town...Barratt and Miller are the 2 developers that are onsite now. I was actually on way back from Barratt open event when I spied the Kirkliston house! My thinking is village life but with the new town (just about) on the doorstop.

Dunfermline (IMO) is overdeveloped hence our move. DS is only 3 but already we're on our 3rd choice Primary School! So heaven knows how it will be when he's due to attend.

YellowWellies Sun 16-Dec-12 16:15:41

Fab hi M2Fergus - we're looking between Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy ideally Aberdour, Kinghorn, N Queensferry or Burntisland (though love South Queensferry too but not how little house you get for your money). I love Fife - we lived there a few years ago - it's so nice being close to Edinburgh and the countryside. Kirkliston is a cracking spot too - are you going for one of the new ones there? The market seems quite slow looking at the reductions I'm seeing on property bee - how have you found it?

Mum2Fergus Sun 16-Dec-12 16:06:14

Hi YellowWellies, and welcome! Im in Fife now, Dunfermline to be exact. We've an offer in on a house in Kirkliston, just the other side of the Bridge. If you need anything locally please do let me know smile

YellowWellies Sun 16-Dec-12 12:47:51

Signing up - we've sold and are moving into rented to give ourselves time to find somewhere we really like (we're moving area and are looking for a long term family home so don't want to rush, even with a new baby!). We're currently in Orkney and moving to Fife so we can't just go and view places just yet - without ferry crossing and an 8 hour drive or a £500 plane trip so we're searching remotely on rightmove until we head south next month.

We just signed the rental agreement and lo and behold our ideal house comes on the market - I was worrying that we'd lose it before we even had time to view so I'm pretty chuffed to hear from everyone's experiences that the market and completions are slow going. Hopefully the timing could work out perfectly that we could make an offer and coincide move in dates with our six month rental contract end. Ahhh things are never that straight forward with house selling and buying are they?!

Mum2Fergus Sat 15-Dec-12 21:18:08

Thanks Ruby! Delighted to read things are finally moving for you too! Our offer was subject to satisfactory gas safety inspection...its arranged for Tue morn...fingers crossed!

rubydoobydoo Fri 14-Dec-12 22:31:34

a better house, not a batter house.... I blame the vibrations coming through the wall affecting my typing! wink

rubydoobydoo Fri 14-Dec-12 22:30:10

We have our full mortgage offer! gringringrin

DP spoke to the solicitor earlier and we're looking at early January for completion. It turns out our vendor is selling two properties and the paperwork for OUR solicitors just may have gone to the solicitors for the other buyers hmm- but hopefully all the searches will be done in the next couple of weeks!

good luck Mum2Fergus - we had our offer accepted at the beginning of November but after lots of stopping and starting things appear to be moving again! (I have come to the ocnclusion that buying a house is a bit like rush hour on the M5!)

Our crap neighbour is getting loud at the moment, I can hear some sort of gangsta rap through the walls, but I sort of want to go round there and give him a hug as if it wasn't for the fact he was such a shit neighbour we'd still be renting here and never would have got our arses into gear and bought a batter house in a nicer area! smile

Mum2Fergus Wed 12-Dec-12 16:46:33

So initial (and in all honest, cheeky) offer was declined...but we've since met in the middle. Offer accepted subject to my arranging gas safety inspection which is booked for next week...all good!

Mum2Fergus Tue 11-Dec-12 14:11:00

Mortgage approved in principle, Sols has Home Report and have formed basis of initial offer. Waiting to hear back from her .....

TuttoRhino Mon 10-Dec-12 20:11:06

Congrats Mum2Fergus. Hmm that it will be really slow?

We spent a week faffing about with the mortgage & brokers only to get things moving on late Friday. Hopefully the survey will be carried out this week. Sent the forms to the solicitors this evening. We're still waiting to hear about the mortgage amount. I'm really not sure how everything works in practice as to whether the final amount only gets confirmed after the survey is carried out. We've got an approximate 55% LTV ratio so am hoping there won't be too many delays.

I'm trying not to get too excited in case the survey comes back with nasty surprises but it's so difficult.

Mum2Fergus Mon 10-Dec-12 19:44:33

Evening all smile first post on this thread...found the house, deposit sorted, appt at 10am tomorrow for mortgage approval in principle. Excited, nervous...what can I expect folks?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now